Historical information for La Candelaria

I will be building this ship in the near future & I'm trying to locate historical info. through SOS & online search engines. Maybe because theirs not much historical significance to this ship that not much has been written about it?
I know it's an 18th century Spanish bomb vessel/ketch & served time in the Mediterranean sea & possibly as a treasure ship bring gold, silver,etc. back to Spain from the new world but that's about it.
Are there any books that would help me discover more about it? What I would also like is info. on the actual build of this ship, not the model but the ship. I know that's a tall order but I thought I would throw that in.
I always loved history & it would be nice to know more about the ship I'm building or maybe a Spanish ship similar to it. Thanks in advance......Al.

A spanish bomb vessel ?!?! - very interesting subject.

In the meantime I am relatively familar with french and british bombs...... so I will be happy to help and assist, but also I am very interesting to learn something about such ships in the spanish navy

Based on the wikipedia page,

there is shown also the HMS Thunder was a 13-gun bomb vessel, used by the Royal Navy for cruising and land bombardment duties between 1719 and 1734. Constructed for the Spanish Navy, she was captured by the British in 1718 and recommissioned for Mediterranean service, including as part of Admiral Charles Wager's fleet. Despite extensive repairs she was eventually declared unseaworthy, and was broken up at Deptford Dockyard in 1734.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Thunder_(1718)

unfortunately there are no drawings listed at the NMM about this ship

The information in wikipedia are from
Winfield, Rif (2007). British Warships of the Age of Sail 1714–1792: Design, Construction, Careers and Fates.

I should have this book at home, and can take a look

in addition this book could be also interesting and will give a further overview, I do not know how much about spanish bombs....

The Bomb Vessel - Shore Bombardment Ships of the Age of Sail
by Chris Ware

in addition this book could be also interesting and will give a further overview, I do not know how much about spanish bombs....

The Bomb Vessel - Shore Bombardment Ships of the Age of Sail
by Chris Ware

Really appreciate the information you provided. Amazon has the Chris Ware book & I plan on buying it. The HMS Thunder will also provide some good overall info. on bomb ships. Thanks...........Al.

I once heard about Spanish Privateer with vessel 'Nuestra Señora de la Candelaria (1746), but it's hard to say what class of ship it is. It is certainly included in the register of the Spanish fleet of that period. But Bomb ketch La candelaria ? This "kit" is unreliable historical model, many people confirm this

Last edited:
Buenos días. Te adjunto documento en pdf de La candelaria. El plano puedes pedirlo al museo naval de Madrid. Que seguramente lo tendrán.

Good morning. I am attaching a pdf document of La candelaria. You can request the plan from the naval museum in Madrid. Which they surely will have.

Attachments

• Bombarda Candelaria ARTÍCULO.pdf
    3.9 MB · Views: 28
Last edited by a moderator:
Buenos días. Te adjunto documento en pdf de La candelaria. El plano puedes pedirlo al museo naval de Madrid. Que seguramente lo tendrán.

Good morning. I am attaching a pdf document of La candelaria. You can request the plan from the naval museum in Madrid. Which they surely will have.
Very helpful information - Many Thanks for sharing this article

Back