Hi Shipmates! Darron here

Hi Shipmates! :cool:

My name is Darron I'm from a small village called East Rainton in the North East of England, I'm registered Blind but I don't let a little problem like poor sight stop me!. I just find new ways to get around the problems, new methods and of course Jig's, I have no fear of power tools I'm just very careful how I use them.

In the early 1990's I had a Guide Dog to help me get around, then had two cornea transplants to restore most of my sight but now my sight is failing again.

I've made a number of ships in the past but they got broke over the years, I have finish a model of the HMS Victory the other year.

53c7bf71-48f7-4db8-a5ba-318ab500c96d_zps8948cef2.jpg

Now I'm working on a partwork of The Sovereign Of The Seas.

I would like to be a part of your forum so I can share my work and idea's with you all.

Darron

Hello Darron,
Welcome to SOS and well done with the Victory, in fact very well done!
Bob

Thank you Bob and Anja for the warm welcome! :text-thankyouyellow:

I still have my build diary for the HMS Victory and the plans for my Muilt-Jig which is a building jig that can quickly be changed from one task to another with the aid of attachment! Here is a sneak peak for some of it's jobs.

WorkToday544_zpsf9ce4557.jpg

More on this jig will appear on the forum soon. From what I've seen on the forum this place has a good group of skilled people, I can't wait to add to your growing database of knowledge.

Darron

Welcome aboard. Beautiful work on the Victory. As I get older, it is getting harder to model and see. The hardest part is rigging, but the passion never wains and we can only do our best.

Hi Darron
Welcome from a fellow northerner.I have only been on here a few days,so a newbie to the forum as well.I am trying to work out now wether I have been to East Rainton now :lol: I live in Ferrybridge near Leeds.Funnily enough I am also building the Sovereign part work.My log is in the scratch section due to it being rather modified.Steve,another member on here is also building the same model.Your Victory looks a cracking model.
Kind Regards Nigel

Thank you GaryM! :cool:

I couldn't agree more the rigging is the hardest part but it makes all the difference to a ship. I use a number of fly-fishing tools to help me get into those difficult to reach places. As we get older it may take longer to do a job but the sense of attachment you feel when you’re done out-ways the time it takes to get there.

Darron

Hello Nigel! :cool:

I've been through Ferrybridge many times going south to visit family, if you have ever been to Durham and then went to Sunderland along the A690 then you would have past East Rainton. I've seen your work and can I say it is first rate! you have real skill there. I've modified my SOTS by dropping the lower deck, changed the stern, offset the bow sprit and I'm adding lights. I will soon start the diary so you can see the changes I've made.

It's nice to hear from you Nigel good luck with your build!

Darron

Darron said:
Hello Nigel! :cool:

I've been through Ferrybridge many times going south to visit family, if you have ever been to Durham and then went to Sunderland along the A690 then you would have past East Rainton. I've seen your work and can I say it is first rate! you have real skill there. I've modified my SOTS by dropping the lower deck, changed the stern, offset the bow sprit and I'm adding lights. I will soon start the diary so you can see the changes I've made.

It's nice to hear from you Nigel good luck with your build!

Darron
Thank you very much for you kind words.I can say yes I have past East Rainton now,it was quite a while ago,but I knew the name sounded familiar :lol: My build diary is not up to date,there has been considerable modification done since then,mainly to the stern area.I have in excess of 200 photos on file.I wont be posting all of them but quite alot to illustrate the key stages.I have to applaud you for lowering that deck,that is what the design needed and as far as I know,you are the only one to do it.I am very much looking forward to seeing your log.
By the way that looks like one cracking jig you have there!!!!!
All the best
Nigel

Back