Hi ! I am Steve from Harrogate in England.

First mode was Occre Pirate ship which went ver well. Next ship was going to be Amati Pegasus but Vanguard kit appeared on eBay & managed to aquire at knock down price £450, collecting Sunday. I am semi retired so time is available. Practical diy person with engineering background. Do you think I have made the right choice?

welcome from a fellow Brit. (Northern born but Dorset dwelling). In my retirement I revived a boyhood pastime of ship modelling. I started with the OcCre Golden Hind. Then Mary Rose then Vasa. Fairly big jumps but I coped. OcCre Pirate ship to HMS Vanguard is quite a leap but the build logs on this forum will be very helpful. I suggest that the money you saved by your e-bay purchase is put in reserve for buying small scale tools. I too did lots of DIY but a 22" bench plane isn't a lot of use on 5mm planking! Amati do nice kits with good quality fittings and materials but watch the quantities.
Enjoy.

Thanks John, yes I have been looking, intensely, at the build logs & as you say there is quite a lot of info. I have warned the wife, she will not be seeing me for the next 3 years!!!

Sorry Edmund, I called you John ! I was a bit slow in seeing the humour!

Welcome to the forums Steve ! Your new kit will be a large jump in difficult. As long as you keep that in mind and expect to have questions and to be frustrated at times and survive the monotony sometimes you should be ok.

jeff

Welcome Steve, I'm Gary from Oldham. I've done a few models my first to ease myself into this amazing world the Arab dhow. Then onto better and bigger models the Cazador Xebec, HMS Fly and currently about halfway through the panart 1:84 amerigo vespucci. What a fun build that is . Enjoy your vanguard should be a great challenge and produce a fabulous build for you to display and be very proud of

Hi Gary, Thanks for comments. Did you fit upgraded cannons to Fly ? I gather they are the one thing that lets the Vanguard down. Will be looking for alternatives but that will be some time yet ! Keep up the good work.

Hi Steve welcome to SOS
Many years ago I sailed with a Captain from Harrogate in P&O Bulk shipping his name was J O Spence nickname was Joe for obvious reasons, happy days

Hi Gary, Thanks for comments. Did you fit upgraded cannons to Fly ? I gather they are the one thing that lets the Vanguard down. Will be looking for alternatives but that will be some time yet ! Keep up the good work.
Hi Steve, yes I did. They made all the difference in the end along with all the extra little kit bashing I did. But the cannons where a major upgrade. Take care my friend

Welcome to SOS. If you are moved to build the Black Pearl, for whatever reason it appeals to you, you have made the right choice. To Quote Rabbi Gamaliel (ca. first century AD) " All the rest is commentary, my son. Go and study." :cool:

Pete

First mode was Occre Pirate ship which went ver well. Next ship was going to be Amati Pegasus but Vanguard kit appeared on eBay & managed to aquire at knock down price £450, collecting Sunday. I am semi retired so time is available. Practical diy person with engineering background. Do you think I have made the right choice?
Hi Steve welcome. My son is a Major General in the US Space Force and was commander of the airbase there for 3 years. They lived in Harrogate and we had the opportunity to visit there a few times. Lovely town, friendly people and great pubs.

Доброе утро! Я также как и вы выбрал набор Vanguard от Amati, не могу сказать что это был правильный мой выбор. Качество набора мне не понравилось, но с доработками, и переделками думаю что можно собрать приличную модель, а учитывая то что вы купили набор по хорошей цене (мне он обошелся в 900 долларов сша), это не плохой выбор.

Good morning! Just like you, I chose the Vanguard set from Amati, I can’t say that it was my right choice. I didn’t like the quality of the kit, but with modifications and alterations I think it’s possible to assemble a decent model, and considering that you bought the kit at a good price (it cost me $900), it’s not a bad choice.
Groetjes Daniel.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back