Hi from Cheshire UK.

Hello Everyone. My name is martin. I have been looking at your site and am very interested in learning form here. I have attempted to build the Cutty sark by Artesania Latina. but I think I bit off more than I can chew? currently stuck on making the. "chains of plate". I have broke countless clump block's, trying to bend the wire around them. so I am looking for inspiration and ideas. Hope that isn't too cheeky?

Thanks' everyone for the welcome's. Still looking, feeling my way around. I did see a post somewhere about a keel clamp, but I can't seem to get back to it. Anyone any idea?

Welcome aboard Martin, if you use a small gauge brass wire you should not any problem bending the wire around them. I use a Panavise instead of a keel clamp it is a lot more versatile.

Good luck with the Cutty sark.

Mike

Hi Martin and welcome to the forum

If you are struggling to bend the brass wire, anneal it first. I hold it in a pair of pliers and gently heat the section to be bent, I use the tip of the flame on the kitchen gas hob.Stop just as it starts to go red and allow to cool naturally.You will find the brass is nice and soft and bends easily

Kind Regards

Nigel

Thanks Mike and Nigel. Tomorrow is the big day? Having been given the nudge that I needed by looking around this site and seeing just what can be achieved. I shall be taking Cutty out of moth balls and making a fresh start. I will attempt to put some photos on too. Please be patient with me.

You can get soft wire, often used in crafting and flower arranging.

Welcome aboard !
there are a number of vendors that have keel clamps available. I see them in Model Expo site, Ages of Sail site and MicroMark site. Of course, like me, they are in the US.

Jeff

Welcome aboard !
there are a number of vendors that have keel clamps available. I see them in Model Expo site, Ages of Sail site and MicroMark site. Of course, like me, they are in the US.

Jeff
Thanks for that Jeff. I have seen them. However the one I was looking for is the home made one by David Blake, which I have now found. "Thank you David" keep safe Jeff. Talk soon.

welcome-on-board-vs-welcome-aboard.webp

I do use a keel clamp, but in the early stages of the build I just use a couple of 'L' brackets bolted through the keel; B&Q or Wickes have them. It is a quick and easy solution - until, of course, you get to planking.P1040165.JPG.jpg

Thanks for that Graham, good idea. When I get some photos of my build, do I put them on here, or do I need to start another build thread. Does anyone know please? Kind regards Martin.

Last edited:
Thanks for that Graham, good idea. When I get some photos of my build, do I put them on here, or do I need to start another build thread. Does anyone know please? Kind regards Martin.
Open a thread under 'Build logs from kits - Wood'. Cheers.

Hello Everyone. My name is martin. I have been looking at your site and am very interested in learning form here. I have attempted to build the Cutty sark by Artesania Latina. but I think I bit off more than I can chew? currently stuck on making the. "chains of plate". I have broke countless clump block's, trying to bend the wire around them. so I am looking for inspiration and ideas. Hope that isn't too cheeky?
Hallo Martin alias @OldMart
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake
Enjoy your special day

Back