HELP!

In assembling AL Santa Maria (modified) I'm now trying to complete the 4 lombard (Lonbarda) cannons. Having got this far I realised that I have no idea of the chain length or to where it should finish/end nor how the Portuguese/Spanish secured the Lombards on their ships during the middle to late 1400's. Googled and received nada results which isn't surprising considering my wife says I can't find the milk inside the fridge.. Does anybody have knowledge of this and is willing to assist? - Thank you in advance.

Lombard Cannon.png

The chain is fixed to the small derrick numbered with 4 - what is the description of 4?
I think it can not take over heavy forces, so I guess it can be the shooting / firing mechanism only?
So maybe only the distance to the gunner havin the end of chain in hand and firing ....

The chain is fixed to the small derrick numbered with 4 - what is the description of 4?
I think it can not take over heavy forces, so I guess it can be the shooting / firing mechanism only?
So maybe only the distance to the gunner havin the end of chain in hand and firing ....
Thank you Uwek for replying. Description of #4 is 'Iron Wedge' so yes it could be the firing mechanism as #3 is described as 'The breech' It never occured to me they had breech loaders in the 1400's. Cheers.

Attachments

• History of Cannons-1955.pdf
    22.9 MB · Views: 82
It appears to be the wedge that provides compression to hold the breach in location when firing, the chain may help the crew members when removing the wedge to free the breach for reloading. There would be a pin hole for a fuse as a firing mechanism.

It appears to be the wedge that provides compression to hold the breach in location when firing, the chain may help the crew members when removing the wedge to free the breach for reloading. There would be a pin hole for a fuse as a firing mechanism.
Yes that makes sense - thank you very much for your input.

Absolutely! If you don't wedge the breach block tightly against the face of the bore, not only will high pressure gas escape, but the breach block moves rearward with such force it will rip the rear end of the breach assembly apart. The momentum of that block is frightening. As long as the breach block can't start moving, there force on the parts supporting the breach block experience far less force. That wedge is essential.

Absolutely! If you don't wedge the breach block tightly against the face of the bore, not only will high pressure gas escape, but the breach block moves rearward with such force it will rip the rear end of the breach assembly apart. The momentum of that block is frightening. As long as the breach block can't start moving, there force on the parts supporting the breach block experience far less force. That wedge is essential.
Thank you. That clearly define the purpose of the wedge and chain. Now I have an idea of how long to leave the chain. Now i need to find how the lombards were attached/secured to the bulwarks? hull. Cheers.

Thank you. That clearly define the purpose of the wedge and chain. Now I have an idea of how long to leave the chain. Now i need to find how the lombards were attached/secured to the bulwarks? hull. Cheers.
How lombards were secured, I can't help you with... those were "before my time". :D However, you may be able to learn that from your resource books or other members here who specialize in 16th century galleons.

I did conjure up a good picture of a lombard typically used on Santa Maria. It appears that the rings on the sides would be used to move or rotate for if necessary for aiming or removal from the ship, and the carriage appears to be so heavy that it may not have slid rearward at all, removing the need to be restrained by a breaching line. The low power of these early guns may also contribute to the lack of need for a breeching line. If a breechloader, the gun would not have to be retracted for reloading and lombards of that type were probably stationary on the deck. The need for increased power required elimination of the breechblock and use of solid barrels, which lead to development of the wheeled carriage later.
lombard_gun_for_carrack.jpg

Last edited:
How lombards were secured, I can't help you with... those were "before my time". :D However, you may be able to learn that from your resource books or other members here who specialize in 16th century galleons.

I did conjure up a good picture of a lombard typically used on Santa Maria. It appears that the rings on the sides would be used to move or rotate for if necessary for aiming or removal from the ship, and the carriage appears to be so heavy that it may not have slid rearward at all, removing the need to be restrained by a breaching line. The low power of these early guns may also contribute to the lack of need for a breeching line. If a breechloader, the gun would not have to be retracted for reloading and lombards of that type were probably stationary on the deck. The need for increased power required elimination of the breechblock and use of solid barrels, which lead to development of the wheeled carriage later.
Looks dangerous. It reminds me of the time some kids got mad at me because I wouldn't let them ride on my horse. They tried to shoot at us with a bicycle handle filled with gun powder and nails. It had a tiny hole in the top to light the powder with. I don't remember that it ended well. All I know is that the nails never reached me or my horse. The cannon in this picture doesn't look that much safer to me.

Brilliant explanation and photo, more than I could have expected - Thank you very much, that solves my problem. How do you people find all this information? I searched and Googled, found lots of everything I didn't need but no information on bombards or how they were used on Carracks during the 1400's. Cheers.

Brilliant explanation and photo, more than I could have expected - Thank you very much, that solves my problem. How do you people find all this information? I searched and Googled, found lots of everything I didn't need but no information on bombards or how they were used on Carracks during the 1400's. Cheers.
I got lucky using google for "ship lombard".

I got lucky using google for "ship lombard".
Arrived by courier ex Dallas USA second hand book store. Book USD11.00 Postage USD23.00. You were absolutely correct. Page 172 has the drawing I wanted that back up your comments and photo. Cool having support by members like you. Cheers.

Arrived today.png

Armament.png

Back