Help with yards and masts

Quick question?
Is it best to assemble the yards and then attach them to the masts before installing on deck? Also, any idea what is between the tiny wooden spheres? Thanks.

B1249E27-2CA1-4F15-AA6A-9977D7622DB6.jpeg

Last edited:
To answer the first question, it is normally best to do assembly of yards and mast off ship when possible, as once installed on the ship the masts loose a lot of access to add blocks and rigging to attach the yards.

As to the second question, those beads are Parrell Beads, (my spelling might be off a bit) use to help the yard move up and down the mast. Items in between are spacers to keep beads in a row and move around the mast, on some of my kits they are soft metal, other kits have wood parts.

To answer the first question, it is normally best to do assembly of yards and mast off ship when possible, as once installed on the ship the masts loose a lot of access to add blocks and rigging to attach the yards.

As to the second question, those beads are Parrell Beads, (my spelling might be off a bit) use to help the yard move up and down the mast. Items in between are spacers to keep beads in a row and move around the mast, on some of my kits they are soft metal, other kits have wood parts.
Thanks so much Kurt, I’m not sure the kit came with spacers.

In most of my big kits where the ship did have them they are shaped like a capital B, with flat side facing out and the round side facing the mast, slightly smaller than the beads which is why that side is rounded, and of course the two ropes going thru the holes in the B top and bottom forming two rows.

Designed like an early ball bearing surface.

I have experienced doing this both ways…I suggest you try one mast attaching the spars first and another attaching the spars after mounting the mast to the ship. Decide which way you prefer. My last few large models I have mounted the rigged masts without spars in place first…then attached the standing rigging including the ratlines…then attached rigged spars. Either way something will be in the way. I have found attaching the standing rigging is a whee bit easier without the spars in the way. I have not had any difficulty attaching the spars after the masts are mounted and standing rigging is in place.

I have experienced doing this both ways…I suggest you try one mast attaching the spars first and another attaching the spars after mounting the mast to the ship. Decide which way you prefer. My last few large models I have mounted the rigged masts without spars in place first…then attached the standing rigging including the ratlines…then attached rigged spars. Either way something will be in the way. I have found attaching the standing rigging is a whee bit easier without the spars in the way. I have not had any difficulty attaching the spars after the masts are mounted and standing rigging is in place.
Thanks for the advice, I should have mentioned I’m building the Pinta, kit by Amati..

My opinion. ALL aspects of the yard should be complete and all running rigging and sail management rigging all attached first. Then mount the yard, tie off the lines to the correct belaying pins, and bittss. Yard Lifts most always will go straight to the deck with some type of block, or that has been my experience with top rate ships. All other sail management will go to a belaying pin.

I agree with Donnie on fully rigging a yard as much as practical before attaching to the mast. The question remains…does one attach that fully rigged yard to the mast before stepping the mast or after stepping the mast? I have decided a few models back to step the masts first…add the standing rigging stays plus the ratlines…and then going back and attaching the rigged yards and continuing with the running rigging. Just my order of assembly that I have found works for me. I have discovered that one will end up doing rigging with tweezers in the middle of a rigging mess either way. For me, attaching yards before stepping the masts is way too messy.

I agree with Donnie on fully rigging a yard as much as practical before attaching to the mast. The question remains…does one attach that fully rigged yard to the mast before stepping the mast or after stepping the mast? I have decided a few models back to step the masts first…add the standing rigging stays plus the ratlines…and then going back and attaching the rigged yards and continuing with the running rigging. Just my order of assembly that I have found works for me. I have discovered that one will end up doing rigging with tweezers in the middle of a rigging mess either way. For me, attaching yards before stepping the masts is way too messy.
Quick question, total rookie at this. I started to work my first “heart shaped “ dead eye and I broke it beyond repair. Kit only came with two, any suggestions on alternatives?
Thanks

Quick question, total rookie at this. I started to work my first “heart shaped “ dead eye and I broke it beyond repair. Kit only came with two, any suggestions on alternatives?
Thanks
Use a regular deadeye of the same size. You will need to adjust how you thread the lines but after all is in place you won’t really notice. You can also go online to one of several suppliers of parts and order new ones.

Use a regular deadeye of the same size. You will need to adjust how you thread the lines but after all is in place you won’t really notice. You can also go online to one of several suppliers of parts and order new ones.
Thanks

Thanks
If you purchased the kit from Ages of Sail, they state on their web site that they will replace any missing or broken parts, even if you break them.
Hope that helps.

Jeff

Do as much as you can Outside the ship. Here in Spain, we say dress the yards. all the blocks are set, footrope etc you only have to outside the yards to each mast
your 2nd question goes under rub¡nning Rioggen Yards, so they -the upper yards can move up and down or sideward

1320-MESANO- MITZEN MAST- YARDS (1).jpg

1498-YARDS  (44).jpg

1505-YARDS  (7).jpg

1521-YARDS  (22).jpg

1527-YARDS  (28).jpg

1538-YARDS.jpg

1539-YARDS  (40).jpg

Figure5-Yardsdetail.jpg

Back