Help finishing my Artensania Latina Swift!!!

please help,
Since I've been buying kits left and right I figured I should get my first one done and except the mistakes...
I got stuck on building the masts and how to rig the AL swift. Masts are done, ready to glue those in and start rigging..
how should I color it?
how should I wax it?
do one at a time?
I'm not going to add the sails as I do not have a sewing machine-yet
I want to start either the QY Bluenose or Pavel Nikitin's Drakkar Oseberg badly but don"t want another unfinished model laying around. In my first year of retirement I've finished 5 Blasa kits that were partials. And working on a 1966 version of the Batmobile to give to my neice...
Thank you as always.
Steve Probelski

Hmmm…what are you trying to color…the rigging lines? Give us a whee bit more info to help you. If it is the rigging lines it is common to use black thread for standing rigging (rigging that once applied does not move), tan for running rigging, grey for steel cable. Buy the rigging thread in the color you need rather than “coloring” a thread…ask more questions so we can help better!

Hi Steviedean
As already mentioned it is better to use precoloured threads.Black or dark brown coloured threads for standing rigging.For the connection yarns betw. the deadeyes and running rigging a light color beige should used.If you chose Co yarn it is adviseable to use beewax for PES no need for waxing.
Enjoy your modeling

Thanks for the info fellas!!
There is a sewing machine shop less than a mile from my house I've driven past for 30 years. I stopped today just to pick up some little $2.00 needle threaders, I walked in the door and told the young girl behind the counter " I don't know anything about sewing" she was very helpful, I walked out the door with properly colored heavy thread, needle threaders & a nice used sewing machines with free lessons...
What a blessing I received going down a road less traveled....

Hi Steviedean
Instead of the needle threader a I am using a drop of CA-glue at the edge of the yarn and after hardening cutting the edge at an angle to make easier for pushing thru the corresponding holes while rigging. The advantage is you always pull or push the thread not doubled (sometimes it is not easy to pull the doubled thread) thru the holes and you have more flexibility to push the hardened thread with a tweezer to reach narrow and limited areas .I attached also a photo for better understanding.
Kind Regards and Enjoy Your Modeling

rigging tip.jpg

Thank you Korsan, I've used your method. But, I saw the threader method used on John Apiritis(?) Site and my dead eyes have .030" holes so I'll try that also I seems it could go a bit quicker.
Side note, free sewing lessons start next Tuesday and she agreed to help me with making sails for my Swift-excellant!

I suggest not glueing masts down in hull!

As I have learned on another kit leaving the mast loose and held by friction and rigging makes for easier repairs in future if your ship is damaged.

As for color of masts I left mine in natural wood and sealed with Danish Oil.

Hi ,
It's John Aliprantis. He has many YouTube video series on building different ships. The methods he described and showed while he was building Artensania Latinas Montenes. It may not be 100% correct but I was able to follow it. And he sure seems like a nice fella.

And as for Kurt's questions,
I glued the Swift's masts because I knew I'd be rough on this build and didn't want another point to think about moving around while rigging. My hands lack the "artful dodging" required as of yet.

Back