Hello from the Netherlands - Mayflower build (Billing Boats)

Hello everyone,

My name is Rene and i’m 38 years old and live in the Netherlands. I've been painting models from a very young age, and i always wanted to build a wooden model ship.
My dad use to have a unfinished Santa Maria ship from Billing Boats at home which i always admired. This prompted me to buy my own ship and start building.

I started building the model in april 2020 during Corona, and it's now 99,9% done. It’s the Mayflower 1:60 from Billing Boats.
I’m really happy the way it turned out, because the build instructions that came with the modelkit we’re a bit unclear sometimes or there was no instructions at all.
I had to scour a lot of forums to find out specific things, which after all was fun to do.

I took some liberty’s with the materials used, and adapted a few things to my own taste so some things won’t be historically accurate or build accurate.
Also i replaced the sails that came with the kit. I got the fabric for the sails from the sailmaker in the Dutch Zuiderzee museum, which i though would be a nice touch.
The fabric was to thick to sew with a sewingmachine, so i had to to everything by hand.
Nonetheless i’m happy with the end result and wanted to share some photo’s here.

Full view front_1.jpg

Full view front.jpg

Detail view side.jpg

Detail view rear.jpg

Detail view rear left.jpg

Detail view bow_1.jpg

Detail view bow.jpg

IMG_0535.jpg

IMG_0545.jpg

IMG_0540.jpg

IMG_0562.jpg

IMG_0544.jpg

IMG_0526.jpg

Last edited:
Hello everyone,

My name is Rene and i’m 38 years old and live in the Netherlands. I've been painting models from a very young age, and i always wanted to build a wooden model ship.
My dad use to have a unfinished Santa Maria ship from Billing Boats at home which i always admired. This prompted me to buy my own ship and start building.

I started building the model in april 2020 during Corona, and it's now 99,9% done. It’s the Mayflower 1:60 from Billing Boats.
I’m really happy the way it turned out, because the build instructions that came with the modelkit we’re a bit unclear sometimes or there was no instructions at all.
I had to scour a lot of forums to find out specific things, which after all was fun to do.

I took some liberty’s with the materials used, and adapted a few things to my own taste so some things won’t be historically accurate or build accurate.
Also i replaced the sails that came with the kit. I got the fabric for the sails from the sailmaker in the Dutch Zuiderzee museum, which i though would be a nice touch.
The fabric was to thick to sew with a sewingmachine, so i had to to everything by hand.
Nonetheless i’m happy with the end result and wanted to share some photo’s here.

View attachment 433486

View attachment 433487

View attachment 433488

View attachment 433489

View attachment 433490

View attachment 433491

View attachment 433492

View attachment 433495

View attachment 433496

View attachment 433497

View attachment 433498

View attachment 433499

View attachment 433503
She is beautiful ! Welcome to the forums !

Jeff

Dude, that is beautiful! Welcome to the group.
I am also building the same kit and struggling with the lack of instructions. I would love to pick your brain on many things but particularly the beak.
Cheers,
Dave

Hello everyone,

View attachment 433486

View attachment 433487

View attachment 433488

View attachment 433489

View attachment 433490

View attachment 433491

View attachment 433492

View attachment 433495

View attachment 433496

View attachment 433497

View attachment 433498

View attachment 433499

View attachment 433503
Welcom aboard, Rene. With a beautiful made model.
Hartelijk welkom!
Regards/Groet, Peter

Back