Hello From South Carolina

Hi ya'll. Been modelling ships since I was in my 20's. However never had the time. I am retired now so I have the time but not the space. spend much time working on models. Since moving to SC my modelling has been focused toward models with local historical significance. Two I've recently completed were: the South Carolina (L'Indien) circa 1780 and the Housatonic sunk by Confederate Sub Hunley. Both were solid hull scaled at 3/16"=1'. They are both on public display.

My current project is the HMS Triton. I'm following Harold Hahn build style using William Romero's Drawings and his HMS Warrior Practicum. I'm struggling!!!

Future project, hoping a requested bid from the Parris Island Museum is funded. They asked for a diarama of Fort Lyttelton circa 1811. Small project 24" x 20".

So there you have it. Trying to keep busy.

Bill Schultz

So I'll do a little on the Triton with some pics. Triton starts out as an array of pdfs. I go to Staples to digitize and resize to the scale I am working in. Triton is 1:48.
I go to my mill yard friend and collect a cherry slab. $75 bucks fo a raw 10' x 2 ' x 2 1/2" thick. On my dewalt I'll cut it down to 1-1/4" billets as the practicum lays out. From the billits I cut three thicknesses on my Byrnes saw, 1/8", 7/64" and 3/16". From those I'll cut patterns for the sistered frames. The sistered frames are made from two thicknesses guled together. The final frames are cut on a scroll saw using a pattern drawn up on Auto Cad.
Frames ar glued to the pattern board. The picture shown are the 1/4" frames cut a little longer and glued into the frame. This helps to reset distances so you do not stretch too long or too short over the length of the model.
The last photo is where I am 5 months in.
20220224_101951[1].jpg 20210816_141827[1].jpg20211231_131514[1].jpg20220421_171445[1].jpg

Boring stuf, huh!

Welcome aboard Bill, $75 for a little over 40 board feet of cheery is not a bad price. You have made a lot of progress in 5 months. Using Hahn style frames uses a lot of wood, but the frames look good. If you have problems with the build, we will help where we can.

Good luck with the build.

Mike

Welcome aboard Bill, $75 for a little over 40 board feet of cheery is not a bad price. You have made a lot of progress in 5 months. Using Hahn style frames uses a lot of wood, but the frames look good. If you have problems with the build, we will help where we can.

Good luck with the build.

Mike
Ya, I used to worry about kerf. Not anymore.

Hallo Bill,
also from my side a warm welcome here on board of our forum.
Very interesting projects and very good work
I am looking forward to see hopefully your Triton in a building log. You can easily start from the actual status

Hallo Bill,
also from my side a warm welcome here on board of our forum.
Very interesting projects and very good work
I am looking forward to see hopefully your Triton in a building log. You can easily start from the actual status
I could do a build log but I'm afraid significant progress takes a long time. So slow you'll feel your hair grow.

I could do a build log but I'm afraid significant progress takes a long time. So slow you'll feel your hair grow.
No problem - in between we will go regularly for a hair cut
It would be very interesting to see your Triton - once and a longer time ago I have built a Triton section model - (better two models)

Back