Hello and a question

Greetings all. Dave from Delaware here, working on my 1st build in 40 years. I've decided to start big with the Model Shipways Syren. I've been spending wayyyyy too much time on here reading and learning. SO, my 1st question, which I 100% know the answer to, but I'd like to avoid disaster. Bulkhead L is towards the bow, 26 is the sternmost. After fairing the bulkheads to the line, the letter L faces forward. I assume the # 26 faces the stern, so the fairing curves toward the stern. This is correct, right?
Also, I chose the Syren for it's comprehensive instructions. Are all Model Shipways kits like this?

Thank you
DaveBulkheads.jpg

Based on chapter 2 of instructions the tapered side faces forward on lettered and aft on numbers as you listed. Look for note in RED in page 7.

Have you done a search for Syren in the search tool to see if others have posted in a build log?

Also please start a separate build log for this build so we all can follow along and you can post what you have done, when you have questions like the above and the members here can review, answer and provide any advise on the construction of the kit.

You may be able to get the ADMIN to move and rename this current log for you.

Well heck
I missed that after reading things at least 3 times
Thank you
Good thing Model Expo has instructions online and I knew what your question was and where to look for the specific question after checking the first two chapters.

Help is just a click away many times.

Not all Model Shipways models are like that, invariably the ones designed by Chuck Passaro. Overall the Model Shipways kits are uniformly good, well produced, good quality and well designed with complete instructions and plans. They give the modeler at least a reasonable chance of success without tearing your hair out, screaming and hurling the kit against the wall in despair, as do some kits (Mamoli comes to mind). Dusek has a way to go yet before their re-introduced Mamoli kits fall into the category of buildable out of the box according to the plans and instructions. Why they have never updated the instructions and plans, as they have done with other aspects of the kits is beyond me. The fittings still suck as well, unimproved from the Italian originals. You'll be doing a lot of scratch building with these kits, which require lots of patience and an experienced hand.

Last edited:
Greetings all. Dave from Delaware here, working on my 1st build in 40 years. I've decided to start big with the Model Shipways Syren. I've been spending wayyyyy too much time on here reading and learning. SO, my 1st question, which I 100% know the answer to, but I'd like to avoid disaster. Bulkhead L is towards the bow, 26 is the sternmost. After fairing the bulkheads to the line, the letter L faces forward. I assume the # 26 faces the stern, so the fairing curves toward the stern. This is correct, right?
Also, I chose the Syren for it's comprehensive instructions. Are all Model Shipways kits like this?

Thank you
Dave
Hallo Dave alias @Cakedad
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back