Hayling Hoy: POF kit [COMPLETED BUILD]

Thanks so much for checking out my posts and all the encouragement! I really looked forward to showing progress and putting up pictures as I drank my first cup of coffee in the morning. What a fun project! It took about 6 months total and the last month my wife suggested more than once that I could spread around my time dedication to some other tasks, but she knows I'm enjoying myself.
Now it turns to what is next. I'll admit it. I have a stack of untouched kits that either looked cool, were on sale, or both. Amongst those, I have HMS Alert. All the cool kids were getting one, and even though it was beyond my skill at the time, I figured I could slowly get through it with the instructions. Have you seen the instructions? Not so good. But then I found Hayling Hoy. I think that now I have just enough skill to make it through Alert with all the Group builders logs and support. More like a 2 year project.

But for today, here's something you don't see every day at my house...
1699574107218.png
Thanks again for helping to make this rewarding and fun!

Congratulations for finishing the model - very well done - I like the finbal result very much :cool:
For me personally the bowsprit is too long compared to the mast stump - but this is a pure subjective question of taste

and btw - what comes now?
after the model is before the model

Congratulations for finishing the model - very well done - I like the finbal result very much :cool:
For me personally the bowsprit is too long compared to the mast stump - but this is a pure subjective question of taste
I am starting to agree with you on the bowsprit. I included it because I liked the work it too to get it to the forecastle deck cleanly, but no need for the rest of it. It might get a chop in the future.

and btw - what comes now?
after the model is before the model
I'd like to build another POF, preferably something that would look great admiralty style. I bought a kit of HMS Alert from Trident back when all the cool kids did. I figured I liked it and would wait for my skills to improve. I feel I'm ready but the model might not be. The instructions included are jibberish in English. I understand Trident may have gone under as a business? so no parts if anything goes wrong. The pieces are milled rather than laser cut (kind of nice), but I would have to scan in everything as I free the parts to be able to draw and cut a replacement if necessary (yeah, I'm talking about hawse pieces). It's on my bench, but for those reasons, it might not be smart to dedicate 2 years to doing a kit that might stop catastrophically. At least there are lots of interesting build on SOS as support. But many can't get past the cabins below deck.
I looked at CAF to see if I could find a fully supported model at my skill level. Unfortunately, they are sold out of all the medium ships of interest. I can't believe I don't have something at hand. Any other manufacturers I might consider before I put myself to the test with HMS Alert from Trident?
As a change, I am also thinking about Syren from MS. I was told by someone I met that showed admirable results with rigging that it is a great way to get introduced to spiling, coppering, and rigging. But I really want to make a pile of frames again.
So, believe it or not, I don't know. I might plug along with Alert for a while and just be extremely careful. and spend my mornings reading logs.

I'd like to build another POF, preferably something that would look great admiralty style. I bought a kit of HMS Alert from Trident back when all the cool kids did. I figured I liked it and would wait for my skills to improve. I feel I'm ready but the model might not be. The instructions included are jibberish in English. I understand Trident may have gone under as a business? so no parts if anything goes wrong. The pieces are milled rather than laser cut (kind of nice), but I would have to scan in everything as I free the parts to be able to draw and cut a replacement if necessary (yeah, I'm talking about hawse pieces). It's on my bench, but for those reasons, it might not be smart to dedicate 2 years to doing a kit that might stop catastrophically. At least there are lots of interesting build on SOS as support. But many can't get past the cabins below deck.
I looked at CAF to see if I could find a fully supported model at my skill level. Unfortunately, they are sold out of all the medium ships of interest. I can't believe I don't have something at hand. Any other manufacturers I might consider before I put myself to the test with HMS Alert from Trident?
As a change, I am also thinking about Syren from MS. I was told by someone I met that showed admirable results with rigging that it is a great way to get introduced to spiling, coppering, and rigging. But I really want to make a pile of frames again.
So, believe it or not, I don't know. I might plug along with Alert for a while and just be extremely careful. and spend my mornings reading logs.
My bad, I just confirmed with Zoltan that the manufacturer Trident is alive and well and that their products are available on his website.

I am sure it was a fun project and at the same time challenging enough. Well, I must admit, if there ever any challenges you have overcome all of them resulting in a beautifully crafted Hoy! Congrats!!
View attachment 405954
Thanks very much Jim! I learned a lot without botching things too much. I'm looking forward too my next kit and the chance to use what I learned. I appreciate all the support during the build.

Hello Glenn I would also like to congratulate you on the completion and am already looking forward to your next project.
Your Hayling Hoy has turned out fantastic.
Thanks Tobias,
I am jumping around between a long backlog of projects but am looking to build Trident's HMS Alert next. I gave the instructions a look and -yikes!- they aren't going to be too helpful. Good thing there are so many talented builders that have left behind build logs on this kit. More to come.

Thanks so much for checking out my posts and all the encouragement! I really looked forward to showing progress and putting up pictures as I drank my first cup of coffee in the morning. What a fun project! It took about 6 months total and the last month my wife suggested more than once that I could spread around my time dedication to some other tasks, but she knows I'm enjoying myself.
Now it turns to what is next. I'll admit it. I have a stack of untouched kits that either looked cool, were on sale, or both. Amongst those, I have HMS Alert. All the cool kids were getting one, and even though it was beyond my skill at the time, I figured I could slowly get through it with the instructions. Have you seen the instructions? Not so good. But then I found Hayling Hoy. I think that now I have just enough skill to make it through Alert with all the Group builders logs and support. More like a 2 year project.

But for today, here's something you don't see every day at my house...
View attachment 405948
Thanks again for helping to make this rewarding and fun!
That is indeed a rare sight at any hobbyist's workshop. Clean and ready for next project what ever the choice.

Not to be rigged? Beautiful model, well done.
Thanks!
I wanted to keep it clean and easy to see the frames and woodwork. I have a kit I bought to teach myself rigging after seeing someone do an excellent job with it. It's MS's Brig Syren. I'll also get more practice spiling and my first copper bottom. But I am having so much fun with the POF style, it might be a while before I get to rigging.

Back