Hand held Nailer

Donnie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Moderator

Does anyone know of a nailer that you can load the tool with a nail (and the nail stays in the tool) and then push the nail in - let's say that you only have one hand to do this while you are holding the plank in place with the other hand. I am helping a friend with a project. I know of like Model Expo that has a 'Nailer', but I am not sure if it will hold the nail in the end of tool while you push the nail in.

thanks
Donald

This one does exactly what you want but it only works for small headed nails:

Lots of damage can be done to model if this tool is slightly off the plumb or the nail head is not ideal. The nail slips off and one delivers a heavy punch on the model. I used the one like that but later had it abandoned. I predrill the plank to the bulkhead for the nail. Then insert the nail and drive it in with small hammer. I pull the nail out later when the glue sets.

Lots of damage can be done to model if this tool is slightly off the plumb or the nail head is not ideal. The nail slips off and one delivers a heavy punch on the model. I used the one like that but later had it abandoned. I predrill the plank to the bulkhead for the nail. Then insert the nail and drive it in with small hammer. I pull the nail out later when the glue sets.
Agreed YT. The item I showed is something I own but do not use anymore.

Thanks for all the input - I will give this info to my friend who is a little handicapped.

Most important is, that the inner diameter of the nailor is not much bigger, than the head of the used nails.
Only with this the nail is alligned and follows the same direction like the tool. Otherwise damages can happen.
Also a magnetic nailer is sometimes working better than others without.

nailer.jpg

But as mentioned before by collegues- not a lot of modelers are using them - for the first planking I guess it is more useful than for the second planking

I use this from Micro Mark. It is a tool used by model railroaders for track laying, made by Xuron.
It grips the shank of the pin or nail. To prevent bending longer pins / nails, I grip it close to the pointed end to get it started in a pre-drilled hole, then slide it back further up the shank until the nail is mostly all in. Then remove from the pin, close the jaws and using the flat end, gently push it in all the way.

IMG_0441.JPG

IMG_0440.JPG

This tool is a cutter / snipper. Wil cut off BRASS pins and nails flush with the surface.

IMG_0442.JPG

EJ

Olga Batcharov uses a home made driver. A bar of perspex with drilled holes of various depth. Drills a hole in the plank, inserts a short length of wire and drives it with the perspex. I think I saw it on her 'Planking the CERF' youtube video. It's the best method I've seen.

This one does exactly what you want but it only works for small headed nails:

I've used a similar nailer and found it very helpful. You want to make sure you have one that's magnetic otherwise it's useless and last time I looked the Model Expo one (black plastic instead of wood like the Micromark one) isn't magnetic.

I agree that you have to be careful and it you can only use it with small nails but sometimes it's just what you need. Donnie I think your friend would find it a worthwhile tool to have.

Olga Batcharov uses a home made driver. A bar of perspex with drilled holes of various depth. Drills a hole in the plank, inserts a short length of wire and drives it with the perspex. I think I saw it on her 'Planking the CERF' youtube video. It's the best method I've seen.
Bob, you have a good memory
I found the post by Olha alias @shipphotographer.com in her Le Cerf building log with the video

link:

Yes - it is a very useful small tool

Back