Grants Xebec 1:60 (using Jabeque Cazador Occre1:60 kit) [COMPLETED BUILD]

Hi Grant. Yesterday I had a meeting of my Photo-club. One of the members showed a photo album of her uncle with pictures from around 1929. There where 2 pictures of a ship with a lateen sail. Not like your Xebec, but I think nice to show a copy of them:
View attachment 440696
View attachment 440695
Regards, Peter
Good morning Peter. Cool photos from way back. The lanteen rig in first photo again confuses me being outside the stays. Makes sense on these small vessels but wouldn’t work on the large Xebec. I have read forums and articles on this but there are so many conflicting opinions. Thanks for the photos. Cheers Grant
Hi Paul, my well wishes for your mother. Love the art she made and now I understand where you got that "artistic license" got from. ;)
Thank you Peter. She is recovering remarkably quickly which is good. She loves her painting. I wish I could have shown you some of the commissioned work she has done over the years…Cheers Grant

Good afternoon
I finally finished the sewing of the foresail. Sewing the bolt rope on is….…Sleep.
Just some pics as more of the same.
View attachment 441106View attachment 441108View attachment 441109View attachment 441110View attachment 441107
Cheers Grant
I appreciate the tedious work going into sail making, especially for those among us, not having received any prior training in sewing. When looking at the results of your labor, I'm in doubt again about my own sail making abilities and about the decisions I made. I think you just nailed it with your sails.

I appreciate the tedious work going into sail making, especially for those among us, not having received any prior training in sewing. When looking at the results of your labor, I'm in doubt again about my own sail making abilities and about the decisions I made. I think you just nailed it with your sails.
Ditto, spectacular result! I believe Ricochet Rabbit is on leave....permanently! :cool:

A nice neat finish, Grant. You start to get the hang of it.
Regards, Peter
Hey Grant, Johan said it best!
Ditto, spectacular result! I believe Ricochet Rabbit is on leave....permanently! :cool:
Good morning Peter x2, Johan and Daniel. Thank you very much. It is a relief to finish the sewing and I am rather chuffed to have made my first sails. I think they certainly add to the character of my Xebec. I have to thank Johan for his constant “pressure “ on me to actually make sails during my build Thumbsup.Peter, Ricochet Rabbit is chomping at the bit, however at this stage of the build there are no jumping opportunities leftROTF
Cheers Grant

Wow Grant, I can’t believe I am so far behind in your beautiful build. I think I need to jump back a month to read and relive your stunning work. If you get a flurry of emoji’s that’s the reason :).

(Edit: First and foremost I hope your mother is doing ok and on the mend. Also, those paintings are really well done. I remember Durban well, having worked the SA coast for many months. Some great times and memories).

Last edited:
You have turned into quite the Taylor. Nicely done.

Jan
Good morning Jan. Thank you kindly. My tayloring skills are still at the novice level however I surprised myself some.
Wow Grant, I can’t believe I am so far behind in your beautiful build. I think I need to jump back a month to read and relive your stunning work. If you get a flurry of emoji’s that’s the reason :).

(Edit: First and foremost I hope your mother is doing ok and on the mend. Also, those paintings are really well done. I remember Durban well, having worked the SA coast for many months. Some great times and memories).
Good morning Roger. Thank you. Coming from you this is quite the compliment, so much appreciated. Thanks for the wishes for my Mom. I’m back in CTN now and she has a full time nurse staying with her. Unfortunately all her children are In Mauritius, Australia and CTN. Arlene and I are making plans to get her to Cape Town but she is stubborn and further negotiating is neededROTF. Durban is still a good place to visit although pretty different to the old days. Cheers Grant

Witaj
Bardzo ładny takielunek i żagle własnoręcznie uszyłeś podziwiam, wiem ile to cierpliwości trzeba mieć do tej pracy sam próbuję uszyć żagle do mojej la belle pouele ale idzie mi jak po grudzie. Pozdrawiam Mirek

HELP :

I am researching rope and block sizes for my next ship. It wont be a "Grant" ship and I would like to get some historical authenticity into this ship. She is a 230 ton, 90 ft at top deck, British merchant vessel and the Navy board added a few cannons and swivel cannons in 1787. The scale is 1:48.

Using the tables in "The art of rigging" for the foremast with the following as an example :

Foremast shrouds : 7 inches = 177.8mm. @ 1:48 scale = 3.7mm shroud
Foremast stays : 10 inches = 254mm @1:48 scale = 5.29 mm main stay
Foremast buntline 2.5 inches = 63.5mm @1:48 scale = 1.3mm line
Foremast buntline block 9 inches = 228.6mm @1:48 scale = 4.76mm block

Maybe I am misreading this table or it is impossible to build a scale model accordingly, however to have 3.7mm shrouds would look horrendous and a 1.3mm buntline would never fit in a 4.76 (5mm) block ?

It is not a Brig so used the 300 ton table.

Am I having a "blonde" moment.......or is the table size working In diameter or radius for the rope and blocks and my simple math doesn’t equate?

View attachment 440181
@dockattner , @Jimsky , @Tobias ,@Ptèr ,@Steef66 , @Daniel20 , @Peter Voogt , @The Gavel , @Alexander74 , @Jack Jäger , @Thomas Marocke , @Uwek ,@RDN1954 @RogerD, @shota70 …..etc etc…. What do you guys think? Have I got this all ass about face? ROTF

Cheers Grant
Hi Grant, I see you have some good information from others in response to your post about rope and block sizes.

As you are no doubt aware there are quite a few historical and interpretive sources with many accompanying tables for a variety of ships. I find I get bogged down trying to find the right table/s for the year, size and type of vessel I am interested in. However, there is a good general guide that may assist you, which is the Appendix of James Lee’s “The Masting and Rigging of English Ship’s of War”.

He firstly draws from contemporary masting tables or from proportionate tables given in contemporary books and manuscripts. The proportionate diameters of the masts then, later in the appendix, helps work out the proportionate rigging sizes. The standing and running rigging are worked out in relation to the appropriate mast stay. Following his pages feels like a flow chart in words but it’s reasonably intuitive. For the block sizes, deadeyes, hearts etc., at the end of the Appendix, he has worked out sizes based on the size of rope reeving through them.

The Appendix does, over seven large pages, provide some good general information that may suit your needs. Trying to fiddlearse around with circumference to diameter, imperial to metric, fractions of inches etc. and a mix of it all is a headache. Lees has obviated, as he says, “the need for masses of tables” and has therefore worked out the sizes, proportionally. I hope this helps or at least gives you another source.

Back