Grants Xebec 1:60 (using Jabeque Cazador Occre1:60 kit) [COMPLETED BUILD]

Quite honestly, me neither, however, I noticed that selecting too large rope diameters or blocks for ones model or applying too large diameters for masts, gaffs and booms could present a false sense of true dimensions. That's when I realized the added value of figurines. Choosing the correct scale and limit the number of figurines to just a few does enliven the model and enhance the sense of scale.
(I am darn close to redo the entire rigging of my Billing Boats Bluenose, just because the blocks and ropes are not to scale, among other things...)
Good morning Johan. True story. Of course one has to determine how close to that perfect scale you want to go. With this ship I have used what I have and did scale down most aspects from the Occre kit. Luckily so as when I use the figurines it would have been silly. Cheers Grant

Grant! I loved the 3D printed stuff, but I was really talking about the work on the rigging. I remain happily amazed!
Good morning Chuck. Thank you kindly.
Fantastic work Grant, looks amazing
Thank you Michael. I’m Still way off your masterpiece under construction tho.
Cheers Grant

You also a good morning, Grant. Have a good time in Durban and the best wishes for a quick recovery of your Mom. She is a talented painter and she knows her classics. My compliments.
Regards, Peter
My best wishes for your mother to. I like her paintings
Prayers for your mom's health Grant.
Hey Grant, thanks for blessing us by sharing some of your mom's art. I pray she will be restored to full health and vigor soon! If she can shepherd you into adulthood I'm sure she is a great mother!
Your mom is a talented person, and her paintings are the proof, now we know how your skills are derived (gene). Wishing your mom a fast recovery, and I hope you'll have a good time in Durban.
Thank you for these words and your prayers gentlemen. My Mom appreciates them plenty. Unfortunately she has some badly damaged nerves, and it will be a long haul back. Yep, Paul, I was a handful and for her to get me anywhere near acceptable to society is a testament to her as a mother. She got me close ........ ROTF . Most of her paintings are sold and she has done some pretty good stuff over the years. Hopefully my Victory will not be her last. Cheers Grant

HELP :

I am researching rope and block sizes for my next ship. It wont be a "Grant" ship and I would like to get some historical authenticity into this ship. She is a 230 ton, 90 ft at top deck, British merchant vessel and the Navy board added a few cannons and swivel cannons in 1787. The scale is 1:48.

Using the tables in "The art of rigging" for the foremast with the following as an example :

Foremast shrouds : 7 inches = 177.8mm. @ 1:48 scale = 3.7mm shroud
Foremast stays : 10 inches = 254mm @1:48 scale = 5.29 mm main stay
Foremast buntline 2.5 inches = 63.5mm @1:48 scale = 1.3mm line
Foremast buntline block 9 inches = 228.6mm @1:48 scale = 4.76mm block

Maybe I am misreading this table or it is impossible to build a scale model accordingly, however to have 3.7mm shrouds would look horrendous and a 1.3mm buntline would never fit in a 4.76 (5mm) block ?

It is not a Brig so used the 300 ton table.

Am I having a "blonde" moment.......or is the table size working In diameter or radius for the rope and blocks and my simple math doesn’t equate?

AFE19BD2-17E9-4088-8D26-D2220AE9ACA2.jpeg
@dockattner , @Jimsky , @Tobias ,@Ptèr ,@Steef66 , @Daniel20 , @Peter Voogt , @The Gavel , @Alexander74 , @Jack Jäger , @Thomas Marocke , @Uwek ,@RDN1954 @RogerD, @shota70 …..etc etc…. What do you guys think? Have I got this all ass about face? ROTF

Cheers Grant

HELP :

I am researching rope and block sizes for my next ship. It wont be a "Grant" ship and I would like to get some historical authenticity into this ship. She is a 230 ton, 90 ft at top deck, British merchant vessel and the Navy board added a few cannons and swivel cannons in 1787. The scale is 1:48.

Using the tables in "The art of rigging" for the foremast with the following as an example :

Foremast shrouds : 7 inches = 177.8mm. @ 1:48 scale = 3.7mm shroud
Foremast stays : 10 inches = 254mm @1:48 scale = 5.29 mm main stay
Foremast buntline 2.5 inches = 63.5mm @1:48 scale = 1.3mm line
Foremast buntline block 9 inches = 228.6mm @1:48 scale = 4.76mm block

Maybe I am misreading this table or it is impossible to build a scale model accordingly, however to have 3.7mm shrouds would look horrendous and a 1.3mm buntline would never fit in a 4.76 (5mm) block ?

It is not a Brig so used the 300 ton table.

Am I having a "blonde" moment.......or is the table size working In diameter or radius for the rope and blocks and my simple math doesn’t equate?

View attachment 440181
@dockattner , @Jimsky , @Tobias ,@Ptèr ,@Steef66 , @Daniel20 , @Peter Voogt , @The Gavel , @Alexander74 , @Jack Jäger , @Thomas Marocke , @Uwek ,@RDN1954 @RogerD, @shota70 …..etc etc…. What do you guys think? Have I got this all ass about face? ROTF

Cheers Grant
Hi Grant. I has also that problem with old Schooner tables. Then I got one that mentioned ‘circumference’.
If so with your table, then:
circumference : pi = diameter.
3,7 mm : 3,14 = 1,18 mm.
So, do sone calculations to diameter and radius and see what sizes are ‘natural’.
Regards, Peter

Your suspicion is correct Grant. When I did similar research for the Vasa some of these old tables use circumference. I’m at the airport right now but if I can find a ‘tool’ that will help I’ll PM it to you.
Hi Grant. I has also that problem with old Schooner tables. Then I got one that mentioned ‘circumference’.
If so with your table, then:
circumference : pi = diameter.
3,7 mm : 3,14 = 1,18 mm.
So, do sone calculations to diameter and radius and see what sizes are ‘natural’.
Regards, Peter
I use this one, Mondfeld calculaties. Look what blok comes the close to your rope.

Hi Grant, maybe this link will help you.

Page 121 onwards might be of interest to you.
Good afternoon Guys. Thank you for this information and help. I certainly have sufficient guidance now for me to get some understanding. There is nothing like an SOS call to SOS friends…:D:D. Much appreciated. Cheers Grant

Good morning from a sunny and humid Durban. Arlene and I have flown up here as my Mom has had a second operation on her back. It is not good however I know my Mom, she “won’t take this lying down”.

My Victory painting has been on hold and will be for a while -View attachment 439968
Some of her other paintings:
View attachment 439963View attachment 439964View attachment 439965View attachment 439966View attachment 439967
Cheers Grant
Beautiful artwork!
Wellwishes for your mum.

Good morning. I forgot to show you Grants design to keep the oversize kit parrel fitting nicely.

I started to accurate way, however had to add a second strop and toggle to keep everything pulling up nicely. Logically the yard would still be able to be hoisted and lowered with this….hmmmm;). I have written on the photo as I can’t get a good one showing each individual aspect.View attachment 437755View attachment 437749
Cheers Grant
The kit actually came with parrels? I’ve never seen such! Are the wooden spacers between the beads one unit? I’ve never seen that before either, Grant. It does seem pretty convenient, though.

Beautiful artwork!
Wellwishes for your mum.
Thank you Johan. She is getting bossy so must be recovering ROTF
The kit actually came with parrels? I’ve never seen such! Are the wooden spacers between the beads one unit? I’ve never seen that before either, Grant. It does seem pretty convenient, though.
Good morning Vic. The Parrels on the Xebec main mast are rather large in relation to say my Victory. The kit came with metal spacers which I painted. They are one unit. If I look at the some of the limited documentation of these ships it would appear as if they are one unit. I did reduce the number of spacers from the kit by one to make the fit better. Cheers Grant

Back