Grants Xebec 1:60 (using Jabeque Cazador Occre1:60 kit) [COMPLETED BUILD]

Beautiful work Grant. Every time I look at your ship further convinces me I need to build one.
Good morning Daniel. Signed and sealed…your next ship is the Le Requin POF pear and boxwood together with the Ancre monogram to get the accuracy ….:);). Thanks for the compliment, I always appreciate your comments. Cheers Grant

Very nice work! It’s a “simple” rigging design, but not easy to make. It is what you described, when pulling on one rope, everything changes and needs some adjustments. The scale doesn’t help either, lol!

You just set a great example for others to follow!

Peter
Good morning Peter. Thank you. I agree it is “simple” ish once the understanding comes together. I can’t the practicality of how some on the lines could work. E.g the lines on the fore of the main yard which have to go over the longboat. Any reasonable wind would tension that rope and damage the longboat. That same rope is tied off to the cleat between the cannons and goes over the cannon which would cause problems operating this cannon. I see the Le Requin is similar however has a lot more room than our Cazador. Another puzzle to me is the boom by the Mizzen. It seems to be a fixed boom and I can’t work out how the Mizzen yard could be lifted over this when the ship “goes about”. I can go on however it may just be me not getting it….:D. I do appreciate your log, I have used it as a manual on a lot of the rigging. And again your work is just masterful. Cheers Grant

A M A Z I N G !
Thee ship looks absolutely amazing and beautiful,love your work !

What else remains to do to finish the ship?
Good morning Guy. Thank you kindly. Still plenty to go. I still need to make the foresail and am about half way in my rigging. There are more decorations to make and finish the longboat. It’s been fun so far and a lot more challenging than I expected. Cheers Grant

Good afternoon.
The admiral is on a hike for the WE, Justin went waterskiing with his mates and Ashtyn in Canada. I am left all alone….shipyard timeROTF.

Rigging the main sail. Boy, oh boy this ships rigging was more difficult than the Victory. Just way less. Every rope tension changes the yard angle both vertically and horizontally. The ships bell tower had a Grant attack…. (permanently in my way - TIP : leave this off until after you have rigged the main sail).

Today the reef lines, main yard stays (these run on top of the yard through the sheaves on top of the mast. They are used to pull the yard forward or aft). They also take a fair amount of the weight of the yard supporting the main halyard . The back stay and two side stays also completed.

Pics :
Grant attack…Bell destroyed:
View attachment 438194
The “main yard stays” from the top of the yard, fore and aft. (no idea what these are called)
View attachment 438201View attachment 438199View attachment 438198
These are tied off via violin block and tackle with hooks. Falls run to rope coils. Still need to finish the coils.
View attachment 438196
View attachment 438195
View attachment 438197
Here we go…..I decided to have the sails roughly semi furled. Tied the reef/clew lines to the cleats at the base of the mast with some scrappy hanks.
View attachment 438200
Pics of whole ship look and feel so far:
View attachment 438202View attachment 438203View attachment 438204
This is what happens when I am left at home alone….
Cheers Grant
Wonderful work Grant. Truly magnificent.

After a holiday there is a lot to read. Now It’s yours. It’s a ‘simple complex’ type of rigging and you are doing a great job. Also with the pictures of the details.
And as I wrote before, a good decision with the semi-furled sails!
Regards, Peter
Good afternoon Peter. Look like you had an awesome adventure up North. Thank you. It is simple when compared to the Victory, yet for some reason I have battled with this more than I did with the Victory. Been fun tho. Yep I really like the “mess” of my semi furled sails. One to go. Cheers Grant

Good evening. Today I did the sheets for the mainsail, some rope hanks and coils and printed “Grants “ starboard decorations.

The decoration detail are tiny and as thin as 0.2mm. I have macro pics with what they are supposed to be ROTF . Same as the PS.

Pics tell the story:
56346F2A-299D-42E8-9156-6E4A08EE4914.jpeg
27717013-C452-483C-80F7-C3723D876B39.jpeg70E76017-99B6-484B-A433-25B048C343E0.jpeg2275596A-3F43-4454-B94C-B0928E3DA481.jpeg16611C6B-3C70-4F66-A46C-73501C3A82F2.jpeg0423C65F-1855-4B61-B459-5E28146931F5.jpeg8D19A4DF-D9B3-4A79-847B-63110AB3D4CB.jpeg54DFAE32-A216-4E7C-B6AC-D1B9BB0252ED.jpeg
Now I have plenty of touch up to do and still have to fill some of the treenails. I am considering framing the stern overhang around the rose with thin 1mm or less walnut. If I have some to cut….hmmm?
Cheers Grant

Good evening. Today I did the sheets for the mainsail, some rope hanks and coils and printed “Grants “ starboard decorations.

The decoration detail are tiny and as thin as 0.2mm. I have macro pics with what they are supposed to be ROTF . Same as the PS.

Pics tell the story:
View attachment 438786
View attachment 438787View attachment 438789View attachment 438788View attachment 438790View attachment 438791View attachment 438792View attachment 438793
Now I have plenty of touch up to do and still have to fill some of the treenails. I am considering framing the stern overhang around the rose with thin 1mm or less walnut. If I have some to cut….hmmm?
Cheers Grant
It’s all in the details …… Nice work, Grant.
Regards, Peter

Pics tell the story:
View attachment 438786
View attachment 438787View attachment 438789View attachment 438788View attachment 438790View attachment 438791View attachment 438792View attachment 438793
Cheers Grant
Even the close up shots are prescision perfect, workmanship I can only dream of getting too.

Back