Grants Xebec 1:60 (using Jabeque Cazador Occre1:60 kit) [COMPLETED BUILD]

Buenas tardes. Es un buen Kit con una buena relación calidad precio y un muy buen servicio si faltan algunas piezas. Yo ya disfruto haciéndolo. En mi opinión se deben entablar los dos lados a la vez. Es la única forma de que no existen deformaciones.
Disfruta con la construcción del Cazador.

View attachment 352756
Good morning Jorge. I agree, I do like the kit. The missing parts are no fault of Occre, more the SA delivery service. I think I got most of the parts saved. All major parts and wood look spot on. I have also heard of good service from Occre. I’m looking Frito building this. Cheers Grant

Hi Grant
I like this kit
It's interressing
I will follow your build
Good luck!
Marco
Good morning Marc. Thanks. I hope I can do this justice.
This looks to be a great build. The Xebec, IMHO, has the most beautiful lines of any ship and has a soft spot in my heart, having built one from the French Chebec plans in Popular Mechanics way back in 1958.
Wow. That is so awesome. It was a long time ago(before I was born) and I can see why the Xebec will be a special model for you. Cheers Grant
With a similar problem i glued a flat steel plate to a piece of flat MDF. Then rested the keel on the plate. With strong right angle magnets (the kind welders use) I was able to hold the keel straight and true. Smaller magnets can also align the frames or bulkheads to the keel. Would that help?
Good morning. That is a really clever idea. I could still do this. If I need to use this method it most certainly is worth a go. Cheers Grant
I have it on my to-do list so will follow with interest....

Good luck.
Good morning. If nothing else these Xebecs are beautiful models. Hopefully I can make mine so. Thanks
I also have it on my list. Amati also has a xebec at a good price, although I think it's a little smaller. I would doubt between the two. The xebec is a boat with a beautiful and elegant line. I'm sure Grant is going to do a great job.

regards;)
Good morning Lorenzo. I did look at the Amati one as well. It was a little smaller. I am making this model to fit in an area in my pub and it was a little small. I have seen good models made using the Amati kit tho. The best kit by miles is the Le Requin. Also there is a brilliant reference book. ZHL has an awesome kit, but is pricey. It also did not fit into my pub space. So the Cazador was perfect for me. Cheers Grant

Good afternoon
I am going to build a Xebec. Originally I was going to build the Jabeque Cazador from OcCre 1:60 scale, however as I will show I am going to change this up a little.

The kit :
As with most reasonably affordable kits there is nothing exotic about the Cazador from OcCre.

When my kit arrived the parts box had broken open and plenty tiny parts were strewn all over- I’m sure I did not achieve a 100% recovery- time will tell :D
View attachment 351990View attachment 351991View attachment 351992

The wood is mostly lime (L)(not my favorite) which is easily cut and sanded. It is a porous wood and difficult to get a realistic finish. I am going to have to research staining and wood finishing.

Certain parts e.g. the false keel, is African Walnut (Aw) which does not finish as good as the European Walnut however it is cool.

The second planking layer is veneer which looks good and easy to use. It Does limit certain details e.g. caulking and the treenail effect is different.
View attachment 351993
As with all modern kits in this price range many of the parts and decorations are molded metal where it would be so much better to have these wood. I guess a lot of scratch part building is in my near future. Going be fun.

View attachment 351995
The cannons are simply kak. (An Afrikaans word - translation obvious ROTF).The blocks and thread (which is a strange shade of green) will be replaced with the good stuff from Drydock. Pretty much stock standard for kits.

Occre got the instructions so good. Clear, concise and there is no confusion. Wow so different from my Mantua Victory ones.

Next up some history, ship research and Grants plans for a Xebec.

Cheers Grant

View attachment 351994
Those 'orrible brittle plastic parts boxes are a pita'
Good afternoon
I am going to build a Xebec. Originally I was going to build the Jabeque Cazador from OcCre 1:60 scale, however as I will show I am going to change this up a little.

The kit :
As with most reasonably affordable kits there is nothing exotic about the Cazador from OcCre.

When my kit arrived the parts box had broken open and plenty tiny parts were strewn all over- I’m sure I did not achieve a 100% recovery- time will tell :D

The wood is mostly lime (L)(not my favorite) which is easily cut and sanded. It is a porous wood and difficult to get a realistic finish. I am going to have to research staining and wood finishing.

Certain parts e.g. the false keel, is African Walnut (Aw) which does not finish as good as the European Walnut however it is cool.

The second planking layer is veneer which looks good and easy to use. It Does limit certain details e.g. caulking and the treenail effect is different.
View attachment 351993
As with all modern kits in this price range many of the parts and decorations are molded metal where it would be so much better to have these wood. I guess a lot of scratch part building is in my near future. Going be fun.

View attachment 351995
The cannons are simply kak. (An Afrikaans word - translation obvious ROTF).The blocks and thread (which is a strange shade of green) will be replaced with the good stuff from Drydock. Pretty much stock standard for kits.

Occre got the instructions so good. Clear, concise and there is no confusion. Wow so different from my Mantua Victory ones.

Cheers Grant

View attachment 351994
Those 'orrible brittle parts boxes are a 'pita', 50% of the OcCre kits I've bought have had them broken. I wish OcCre would use a much more flexible material.

Good afternoon

The kit :

View attachment 351993

View attachment 351995

Cheers Grant

View attachment 351994
Ouch … so a major sort to start off with Grant . Yep Kak also well used in Scotland also. From my experience on the Occre Endeavour the instructions are very good for the hull but the rigging left a lot to be desired and much head scratching. Yes I also agree with the metal parts but I guess easier to cast detail. I made replacement parts in wood but those were simple shapes which does not look possible on your build. Good luck will follow with interest.

I am building the same model and have had loads of problems with it and for the first time Occre, who are usually so helpful, just said it was an old kit and not up to their newer standards. I have persevered with it and reached the rigging stage. Be prepared, the instructions are frightening!! You really need to plan well ahead and be ready to alter quite a bit. If you followed their diagrams the guns would be inoperable and it would be impossible to use oars. In my opinion the Amati Xebec which I built before is a much better kit but I will keep watching and hope you can make a better job of yours than mine!

Grant, you and me both m8. My building skill are more miss than hit. I wish you well on your journey of the cazador xebec. Its a wonderful little ship to build
Good morning and thank you. Looking forward to this little project.
Ouch … so a major sort to start off with Grant . Yep Kak also well used in Scotland also. From my experience on the Occre Endeavour the instructions are very good for the hull but the rigging left a lot to be desired and much head scratching. Yes I also agree with the metal parts but I guess easier to cast detail. I made replacement parts in wood but those were simple shapes which does not look possible on your build. Good luck will follow with interest.
Good morning Keith. Thank you. The small parts I think I can do justice to, however I don’t know what I am going to do with the decorations. I certainly do not have Peters carving skill (@Ptèr - best Jabeque Cazador build I have seen) so it is abridge I will have cross at a point. Cheers Grant

I am building the same model and have had loads of problems with it and for the first time Occre, who are usually so helpful, just said it was an old kit and not up to their newer standards. I have persevered with it and reached the rigging stage. Be prepared, the instructions are frightening!! You really need to plan well ahead and be ready to alter quite a bit. If you followed their diagrams the guns would be inoperable and it would be impossible to use oars. In my opinion the Amati Xebec which I built before is a much better kit but I will keep watching and hope you can make a better job of yours than mine!
Good morning Mike. Thanks for the heads up. I am playing with idea of changing my Xebec quite a lot. May not even look much like the Occre Cazador. I am. Still thinking about it tho. I just love the look of the Xebec ship. Cheers Grant

Good morning.

Here are my thoughts. As I mentioned in my “History post” it is highly unlikely that the Jabeque Cazador looked like the Occre model. There is little known and little or no plans, books or Museum models of this ship that I can find. (If anyone knows otherwise I would be keen to know before I proceed.)

So it has given me license to play- I love the shape of the Xebec ships and the Occre Cazador is a bit boxy at the stern for Grants Xebec.
D00FE05B-2CD7-4D33-A523-E6DAA2C0B844.jpeg

I am thinking of angling the rudder more aft, lowering the stern bulkwards which are above the deck and extending the stern. Thereby making it more sleek and sexy. Here are my ideas :
744E3FA2-0D59-48B6-84DC-F717244DA8DE.jpegB67DE357-0A61-47BC-AE5B-D914E858E9E3.jpeg
I will have to make the stern frame which will be smaller, narrower and not so square and extend the false keel rudder section. The stern above the deck will have to be narrower and lower and will rest at a more acute angle.

This could be a disaster in the making but I am going to go for it. I will check scale adjustments and ensure it fits with the rest of the ship before I charge into this. The entire stern look, canon placements and Mizzen mast will also change. Welcome to Grants Xebec.
Cheers Grant
PS- I hope I know what I am doing…:rolleyes:

Back