Grants Xebec 1:60 (using Jabeque Cazador Occre1:60 kit) [COMPLETED BUILD]

Hi Grant a really great project you have chosen. I personally love this ship and hope to build it one day. Great historical research and have fun and success building your Xebec. I will follow your build report with high interest.
Good Afternoon Tobias. I agree with you, it looks like a real fun ship to build. I think I may make some changes to the Occre kit, but I have not come up with anything definite yet. I do want to keep it simple tho after the Victory so lets see. Thanks. Cheers Grant

Good Afternoon Tobias. I agree with you, it looks like a real fun ship to build. I think I may make some changes to the Occre kit, but I have not come up with anything definite yet. I do want to keep it simple tho after the Victory so lets see. Thanks. Cheers Grant
Grant I'm pretty sure you can give the Xebec its fantastic beauty, looking at your Victory I have no doubt.

Wow, looks like the room is filling up fast. If you don’t mind I’ll just sit in the corner on my stool and watch the progress of Grants Xebec.
Good morning Ron. Good to see you here. Hope you are doing well and doing ok . Cheers Grant
I too am joining the others and looking forward to following your new build Grant.

However, I’m going to keep out of range of Heinrich’s peanut shells from the peanut gallery :D.
Good morning Roger. Yep those nuts from Heinrich…:D. I wouldn’t have it any other way.
Hi Grant. Hopefully there is place for a extra chain? Loved to follow this new build of you. Have fun building this ship!
Regards, Peter.
Good morning Peter. Always room for a chair- you will have bring your own tho;). Seriously,I admire your ability to pull off detail to the”n th” degree and that is one of my goals here- attempt better and more fine detail work….ahh we will see how that goes. Cheers Grant

Good morning.

And so it begins….onto the boring but so important stuff.

False keel, deck, Frames, mast and deck supports. Normal kit plywood but looking good.
47C49858-A2D4-4358-8887-D1EE6E5FA50A.jpeg

The false keel was warped:p. 2 out of 2. My Victory and the Cazador.
06BB503E-A705-4428-9AE8-0E0491BABB92.jpeg
I wet the False keel and overnight put weights on it to straighten.

The Frames went in smoothly with no adjustment required-well done Occre! I used Lego blocks, a set square and continuously check the horizontal and vertical of each frame. Wood glue was used, however once the square of each frame was achieve I dabbed CA glue along each frame. This made sure the frame did not move while the wood glue was drying.
E7854A77-C8B3-47C4-8151-167632808A3E.jpeg
63BF74B7-83B4-4B47-90C2-E46DA92589E1.jpeg
I got the bend out of the false keel 95% only. The plywood is very flexible, so hopefully the deck fitting will correct this. I think so:D….

My parts for the Victory arrived so my Xebec will have to wait a tad.

Cheers Grant

The deck should pull the keel straight. Maybe it's a good idea to put that on first, and then go back to the Victory? Then it has ample time to dry and assume the correct shape.
Good morning Heinrich. That would have been a good plan. Unfortunately it is dry now. It is very flexible and with hardly any pressure gets to the vertical. I will have to see I guess. Cheers Grant

Hi Grant, with my somewhat limited planking experience I’m just throwing this thought out there.

Planking one side of a hull without doing the other side at the same time and in a similar arrangement can induce possible hull warpage. Is it feasible to force warpage to counter the warp you presently now have by gradually planking one side only?

Hi Grant, with my somewhat limited planking experience I’m just throwing this thought out there.

Planking one side of a hull without doing the other side at the same time and in a similar arrangement can induce possible hull warpage. Is it feasible to force warpage to counter the warp you presently now have by gradually planking one side only?
Good afternoon Roger. Yep you are correct mathematically. For Grant to achieve this would just luck:rolleyes:. I think it is all solvable by the deck support. Let’s see. Cheers Grant

Buenas tardes. Es un buen Kit con una buena relación calidad precio y un muy buen servicio si faltan algunas piezas. Yo ya disfruto haciéndolo. En mi opinión se deben entablar los dos lados a la vez. Es la única forma de que no existen deformaciones.
Disfruta con la construcción del Cazador.

IMG_20230121_145738.jpg

With a similar problem i glued a flat steel plate to a piece of flat MDF. Then rested the keel on the plate. With strong right angle magnets (the kind welders use) I was able to hold the keel straight and true. Smaller magnets can also align the frames or bulkheads to the keel. Would that help?

I also have it on my list. Amati also has a xebec at a good price, although I think it's a little smaller. I would doubt between the two. The xebec is a boat with a beautiful and elegant line. I'm sure Grant is going to do a great job.

regards;)

Back