Fregata "Beroldo" Regia Marina Sabauda (Royal Navy of Kingdom of Sardinia)

I'm looking for a small fregata "Beroldo".
That is what Iknow:
(By Bing copilot)
The frigate Beroldo was a ship of considerable importance. She was built in Genoa in 1827, she was equipped with 44 cannons and had a length of approximately 45 meters12. This frigate was part of the Navy of the Kingdom of Sardinia and was one of the first naval units to bear the name "Beroldo". Her construction was part of a naval program that also included other ships such as the frigate Haute Combe and the corvette Euridice2.
Although she is not as small as a rowing boat, the Beroldo was a vessel of significant size, with an important role in the Sardinian fleet. Her history and characteristics are fascinating and remind us of the importance of warships in the past.

Interesting ship
Not many information are written in Three decks about the Beroldo

Screenshot 2024-02-12 082939.png

checking the mentioned shipyard "La Foce" we find this

Screenshot 2024-02-12 083041.png

but also about the other frigates build in 1827 or 1828 not much information are given, but maybe it is worth also to look after "Haute Combe" (50), "Euridice" (44) , "Carlo Felice" (58) and ""Regina" (60) which were build in the same shipyard I guess based on similar drawings and designs

A similar ship was the "Des Geneys".
Also the "USS Rattlesnake" may be similar

View attachment 427339
Here are several information on the italian wikipedia

The original name of the "Des Geneys" was "Altacomba" build based on a design by Giacomo Biga

Screenshot 2024-02-12 085052.png

Having found no drawings of the Beroldo, one might think that the USS President might be a good starting point?

View attachment 427445
I am not sure, because this frigate was already launched 27 years earlier in 1800 - already ordered in 1794 and build in the States
So I think there were only the colours somehow similar, but there was definitely bigger differences in hull form and other things ......

I am not sure, because this frigate was already launched 27 years earlier in 1800 - already ordered in 1794 and build in the States
So I think there were only the colours somehow similar, but there was definitely bigger differences in hull form and other things ......
Also flat deck and not banana ... silhouette. :eek:...I'm desperate.
I can't find any ship that resemble it

Are you looking for a kit, which you want to adjust and bash?
Or also possible some drawings or planset, so you can build your ship in scratch?

Maybe you find something similar in the NMM - here you find contemporary drawings of english ships / or captured and remeasured by the british

President.jpg

President (1829)​

Scale: 1:48. Plan showing the sheer lines and longitudinal half-breadth for President (1829), a 52-gun Large Fourth Rate Frigate. The plan seems to be the design plan prior to her being named or approved, but the dimensions match those of the President (1828). She was originally designed to carry 60 guns rather than the 52 subsequently mounted.

Thanks for the information on the President.
Continuing my research I discovered that in the early 1800s many civil architects worked in Russia and in particular built many buildings in St. Petersburg.
It is possible that there was also an exchange of information in the naval field. In 1850... the Pallada was built which, like the Beroldo, was a small frigate.

pallada_9.jpg

Pallada_01.jpg

Attachments

• pallada_01.pdf
    310.8 KB · Views: 20
  • pallada_02.pdf
    265.3 KB · Views: 13
  • pallada_03.pdf
    275.2 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Back