finishing off the santa maria

here are a few pics of my Sta. Maria that is almost complete. just need to make up some swivel guns and hang some flags (flags on order).
the frame was made from plans by Amati and modified using plans and pics downloaded from the web. I made her out of cedar for the planking, deck and various deck furniture while the masts are from oak, the yards from canarywood and a bit of walnut thrown in for various areas and parts where strength was needed. I tried to make up the flags and pennant but was not happy with the results. I can do british, french, dutch, and russian flags, but with the multiple shapes on the spanish, out of my league on those. Anyway, please let me know what you think of her. 20230227_162733.jpg20230227_162721.jpg20230227_162632.jpg20230227_162605.jpg20230227_162158 (1).jpg20230227_162552.jpg20230227_162801.jpg20230227_162540.jpg20230227_162750.jpg20230227_162714.jpg

Really great work! I love the carvings, adds so much subtle detail to the ship. So much detail on the flags, too. Hope the Carrack I am working on looks half as good.

Are the flags you are getting made custom? I'm not thrilled with the paper flags included in my Carrack kit and would like to get some of better quality.

thanks to everyone for all the comments and likes. Signet, i think you mean the crosses on the sails; they were traced from the plans on onion skin tracing paper, cut out and painted, then glued to the sails. the flags and pendants are the amati supplied ones and I am hoping with a little work and some dry brush pastel coloring i can make them look realistic.

thanks to everyone for all the comments and likes. Signet, i think you mean the crosses on the sails; they were traced from the plans on onion skin tracing paper, cut out and painted, then glued to the sails. the flags and pendants are the amati supplied ones and I am hoping with a little work and some dry brush pastel coloring i can make them look realistic.
No, I meant flags. I just went by the first post above:

"just need to make up some swivel guns and hang some flags (flags on order). ... I tried to make up the flags and pennant but was not happy with the results. I can do british, french, dutch, and russian flags, but with the multiple shapes on the spanish, out of my league on those."

That made me think you ordered flags, possibly made to order, and I was interested. Thanks for all the pics of your excellent work. I'll be looking more closely for ideas for my Ragusian Carrack, which has a lot of similarities.

Really great work! I love the carvings, adds so much subtle detail to the ship. So much detail on the flags, too. Hope the Carrack I am working on looks half as good.

Are the flags you are getting made custom? I'm not thrilled with the paper flags included in my Carrack kit and would like to get some of better quality.
HISmodel.com has Santa Maria flags, but I didn't see any for the Ragusian Carrack.

sorry Signet , i misunderstood. the flags I ordered are just the amati set from cornwall model ships. these flags are the same as supplied for the Pinta and the Nina as well, so i am not expecting much but the price was right (cheap). thanks for the kind words for the Sta. Maria. Will you be posting pics of your carrack?

HISmodel.com has Santa Maria flags, but I didn't see any for the Ragusian Carrack.
I wouldn't expect any production ones for a rather unique subject. That's why I was thinking someone might be custom making them, from art supplied by the customer.

Nicely done.
Now i have to speed up my SM so we can jump on them and meet half a way in a Strait of Georgia; ferries will be a bit of challenge, dough :)

Back