Figurehead of Royal George

Important:

the figurehead represents not a roman, but represents William III in Roman dress on horseback,

and we do not know, if the old english in the 17th century knew about the stirrups of roman soldiers - yes or no

There are contemporary models of the Royal George existing, showing Stirrups

Royal George1.jpg

also the Royal William (1719)
Royal William.jpg
The carved and painted decoration on the model is of high quality, especially the figurehead, which represents William III in Roman dress on horseback, carrying a baton and trampling a snake-haired gorgon. On the taffrail, situated above the open stern galleries, is the bust of William III supported by a variety of figures from ancient mythology as well as a wealth of foliage and putti. William’s mongram ‘WR’ has been incorporated into balustrade on the open gallery of the grand cabin below.

Royal George

Royal w2.jpg

f9285_005.jpg

also maybe interesting

Last edited:
I continue to compliment you on the work.. however.. :cool: ROTF... it would be as if I dressed up as a tennis player and showed up on the court wearing skis
Not exactly
but it is somehow strange making some research about King William III or William of Orange who is shown on the figureheads

There are a lot of paintings showing him on horses - I guess the most heroic way of a portrait - all not in roman cloths

Screenshot 2024-05-08 142726.png Screenshot 2024-05-08 142808.png

all with the stirrups

but there is on famous monument showing him as a roman on a horse without stirrups
Screenshot 2024-05-08 142918.png Screenshot 2024-05-08 142958.png

Screenshot 2024-05-08 143041.png

on the other hand there is also the main seal showing him as a roman with stirrups
Screenshot 2024-05-08 143213.png

OK - we will not find now a final answer - the old carver of the model made the incredible and amazing figurehead of these models
historical correct or not - amazing work(s) on amazing model(s)

Important:

the figurehead represents not a roman, but represents William III in Roman dress on horseback,

and we do not know, if the old english in the 17th century knew about the stirrups of roman soldiers - yes or no

There are contemporary models of the Royal George existing, showing Stirrups

View attachment 446272

also the Royal William (1719)
View attachment 446273
The carved and painted decoration on the model is of high quality, especially the figurehead, which represents William III in Roman dress on horseback, carrying a baton and trampling a snake-haired gorgon. On the taffrail, situated above the open stern galleries, is the bust of William III supported by a variety of figures from ancient mythology as well as a wealth of foliage and putti. William’s mongram ‘WR’ has been incorporated into balustrade on the open gallery of the grand cabin below.

Royal George

View attachment 446275

View attachment 446276

also maybe interesting

Thank you for the detailed information you provided. Unknowingly, I was slowly leaving this field. I will still come back to appreciate the works of my seniors when I have time.

Back