F214 HIPPER - training frigate of the German Navy from the early days - after final refit?

Hello,
The Federal Republic of Germany took over a total of seven Royal Navy ships as training frigates during the rearmament phase of the German Navy.
The ship was launched in 1945 as HMS Actaeon for the Royal Navy and was completed too late for deployment in the Second World War. From 1959 to 1964, the Hipper served as a cadet training ship for the German Navy. In autumn 1967, she was sold to Hamburg for demolition.
As far as researching this model is concerned; I have not been able to find any pictures of HMS ACTAEON; there are a handful of pictures of HIPPER on the net, but they are difficult to find. My enquiry at the Navy's PIZ was unsuccessful.
Friends contributed photos of the models of HIPPER and GRAF SPEE from the collection in Mürwik; I tried to show the last state of construction as far as possible. All 4 frigates of the Black Swan class underwent multiple conversions. It is not possible for me to narrow this down to one.
My model is based on the units SCHEER and SCHARNHORST.
Here are the "aids" used:
002-Black-Swan-plan.jpg
Plan for the Black Swan class;
001-Hipper-Stb.jpg
Side view of the HIPPER as it will be as a model;
003-Hipper-achterlich.jpg
A rare photo from the archive of the Kieler Zeitung.
Interesting in this context, HIPPER and SPEE always appeared together. As you can clearly see in the following photo. Arrival during a visit to the fleet in Den Helder/Netherlands.
Aankomst_Duitse_fregatten_Graf_Spee_en_Hipper_in_Den_Helder,_Bestanddeelnr_910-6806.jpg
Here both ships are still in delivery condition.
They made the most international voyages in their time. Unfortunately, I no longer have access to the HIPPER's logbook.
Actually I didn't want to do a construction report about these ships, but friends from non-German forums asked me to do so. As an introduction to this topic, that's enough for today ...
Best regards
Wil

F214 HIPPER - school frigate of the first hour - now it goes into the third dimension!
Before printing, I scaled and drew the frame; since I already had SCHEER and SCHARNHORST in my work, I could fall back on most of the hull parts ... so, as always, scan the "plan" and then in a vector drawing programme ... cut out and angle in, compare the dimensions and ...
005-Konstruktion.jpg
the result after printing and processing looks like this:
006-Spantengerüst.jpg
I lay each keel on an 8 mm thick glass plate that I had left over from one of my showcases.

The base plate has been aligned and is always provided with a reference dimension for the length; not every printer works like my cheap WF-2010. The aft horizontal frames are prepared - not because I'm afraid the hull might warp, no; I use them as glue points for the hull sides, the same applies to the front part of the ship ...
007-Horizontalspanten.jpg
For my friends in the friendly forums: even if it looks like it, this is not a kit, I just take the trouble to label the parts accordingly ... you're not the youngest anymore ...

Glue on the aft deck and attach the frames for the cadet deck.
008-Achterdeck-Aufbau.jpg
HIPPER was one of the first school frigates designed to equip the next generation of officers with knowledge and sea legs.

009-Achterdeck-Bordwände.jpg
Here I show once again the principle of deck construction; L-profiles to stop the walls, no glue flaps at the bottom and top, which inevitably lead to differences after creasing; I am also not a friend of plug-in flaps in the decks, as favoured by some designers ... I would like to thank the designer at Passat-Verlag for the idea of the L-profiles.

With best regards
Wilfried

Very good progress - step by step and bulkhead by bulkhead it will be more a "ship"
Very interesting to see how to make a scratch card model .....

Hello,
The Federal Republic of Germany took over a total of seven Royal Navy ships as training frigates during the rearmament phase of the German Navy.
The ship was launched in 1945 as HMS Actaeon for the Royal Navy and was completed too late for deployment in the Second World War. From 1959 to 1964, the Hipper served as a cadet training ship for the German Navy. In autumn 1967, she was sold to Hamburg for demolition.
As far as researching this model is concerned; I have not been able to find any pictures of HMS ACTAEON; there are a handful of pictures of HIPPER on the net, but they are difficult to find. My enquiry at the Navy's PIZ was unsuccessful.
Friends contributed photos of the models of HIPPER and GRAF SPEE from the collection in Mürwik; I tried to show the last state of construction as far as possible. All 4 frigates of the Black Swan class underwent multiple conversions. It is not possible for me to narrow this down to one.
My model is based on the units SCHEER and SCHARNHORST.
Here are the "aids" used:

Plan for the Black Swan class;

Side view of the HIPPER as it will be as a model;

A rare photo from the archive of the Kieler Zeitung.
Interesting in this context, HIPPER and SPEE always appeared together. As you can clearly see in the following photo. Arrival during a visit to the fleet in Den Helder/Netherlands.

Here both ships are still in delivery condition.
They made the most international voyages in their time. Unfortunately, I no longer have access to the HIPPER's logbook.
Actually I didn't want to do a construction report about these ships, but friends from non-German forums asked me to do so. As an introduction to this topic, that's enough for today ...
Best regards
Wil
Hallo @kartonskipper
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake
How is your project going?

Back