Drilling clean holes.

Don, applying tape over the area and marking your drill marks on the tape will prevent edge splintering. The tape and type of wood are the variable. Painters tape, thin Monster tape, even Scotch tape can work. I've had better results with thinner tapes. I always test exactly what I am attempting to do OFF the model, if I've not done it before, specifically, i.e., if it is a different wood, if the angle is different, if the hole is a different diameter. I just mount the type of wood or material, for that matter, on another scrap piece of wood. Then apply a number of different types of tape and start drilling. Remove the tapes and decide if any, which is the best result. Only then do I have to confidence I will not be risking all of my hard work on the model that came before it.

Best of luck!

Ken

Last edited:
Here is an unscrupulous idea…nothing suggests that you need to drill scupper holes straight through for modeling purposes…thus…drill a hole for the deck end of the scupper…then drill another hole for the hull end. Do not try to drill through from the deck end thus risking the splintering as the drill exits the hull end. Two separate shallow holes to model the scuppers…I call this an unscrupulous modification of the dominate paradigm! :)

It's time to drill the holes for the scuppers. I'm concerned with the planking splintering when the drill breaks through. Does anyone have a slick method of avoiding this?
1. Spread some CYA on the area of breakthrough before you drill.
2. Drill through the wood and CYA.
3. Carefully scrape off the CYA.
4. Carefully sandpaper the scraped area with 400 grit or so.
5. Done!

It's looking to me like they are evenly spaced but I would think that there would be more scuppers in the waist where it's the wettest. I don't really see any need for them under the quarterdeck(like in the captains and officers quarters) but sometimes they don't do things the way I think.:)
You must remember they are used to drain wash water as well as rain water. Often the officers quarters are also where gun may be placed in battle and its always possible to have dirty deck from gun powered or blood from injuries.

1. Spread some CYA on the area of breakthrough before you drill.
2. Drill through the wood and CYA.
3. Carefully scrape off the CYA.
4. Carefully sandpaper the scraped area with 400 grit or so.
5. Done!
Becareful
Some woods soak up the stuff
Some paint not good with it - can leave stain.

On the hole yes - glue can be used.

Of course - drill by hand is good but laborious…

Many ways to pluck a bird - just finding what is best for you and your masterpiece.

Back