Diorama help

Hey shipmates!
I know this is not a forum for dioramas, but I figured some of you may have experience building them. I have not built a diorama and am new to ship kit building, but my interest and excitement in modeling and from this forum gave me an idea for a way to illustrate some teaching materials at work. I'd like to build some dioramas depicting some landscapes and street scenes but don't know where to start. I've found a couple of websites https://woodlandscenics.woodlandscenics.com/ and https://hobbyterra.com/, so I feel like I'm on the right track. Any recommendations out there on getting started?
Thanks,
Kramer

Hi Kramer, Have you checked MicroMark tools? Below is the link for 3 pages of the Scientific brand,

You might try the Model Railroader website, Kalmbach publishing.

They have lots of how to books on scenery and other such issues.

I read them a lot and use some of the methods and products in my model railroad building.

You might try the Model Railroader website, Kalmbach publishing.

They have lots of how to books on scenery and other such issues.

I read them a lot and use some of the methods and products in my model railroad building.
Kurt beat me to it so I'll second his suggestion of model railroading sites. I'd recommend to look at some of the model railroad forums too. Even if the scale you need doesn't match one of their scales many of the techniques they use will be helpful.

We don't see many dioramas which include ships. I hope you stick around and show us some! Making not just the ship but things like docks and wharf buildings is one step beyond what we are usually doing, and we'd love to see your artwork.

Kurt beat me to it so I'll second his suggestion of model railroading sites. I'd recommend to look at some of the model railroad forums too. Even if the scale you need doesn't match one of their scales many of the techniques they use will be helpful.
Any model railroad forum suggestions as good as SoS?

Harold Hahn built a diorama of a colonial shipyard as mentioned above which is fantastic. So building a diorama is definitely a branch of model shipbuilding. I had started a diorama a few years back but set it aside unfinished, mainly because of space…it is a two foot square base. One day I will pull it out again. But modeling a colonial shipyard diorama is actually a great idea. Our forum may need to add a new topic for dioramas if it catches on! I can add on the previous comments here that model railroad websites have the market edge for supplies, pieces, and parts for scenic dioramas…add a couple of small ship models in various stages of construction and you have it!

Shepard Paine was the guru of diorama and figure building. His gundeck of the Victory was in Forbes' townhouse museum in NYC for years. It's in private hands now. Paine used mirrors to extend the deck beyond our view. Below you see the breadfruit on the Bounty, the inside of the Monitor's turret and Admiralty officials consider plans and a model in the 17th century. Here's his classic book. He had many publications and his dioramas were sponsored by museums, corporations, and private patrons.
1657998907541.png
1657998818727.png
1657998550990.png
1657998467132.png
1657998429367.png
1657998391400.png
1657998334631.png

The Shepherd Payne books are great. You might also want to look on “Pinterest” for many ideas. You’ll find tutorials and videos on different aspects of building dioramas, especially for ship models. Also tons for model railroading and military models. Good luck and please share your project with us.

The Shepherd Payne books are great. You might also want to look on “Pinterest” for many ideas. You’ll find tutorials and videos on different aspects of building dioramas, especially for ship models. Also tons for model railroading and military models. Good luck and please share your project with us.
On the other end of the scale is this from Spain.

Back