Deck colors and holystoning......

Please forgive me if this topic has been discussed here ad nauseam, I'm a mere seaman apprentice just reported aboard and apt to ask naive questions from time to time. At risk of opening a debate akin to what colors the USS Arizona was painted on Dec. 7, 1941, I just finished a Forester novel (Hornblower no. 2) in which the deck of the HMS Renown is described as being holystoned "white". If I am to depict a deck on any of my future model ships, such as a brig, frigate, or larger.... would a deck (generally) be close to "white", i.e. off white, very light tan, medium tan, or darker? Would this color generally be universal throughout early 19th century navies?

Please forgive my possible repetitive questioning. If I offend, I will present myself for the purpose of kissing the gunners daughter when so ordered. (I clearly have already read too much Hornblower).

beyaz olma olasılıgı bence hiç yok,kalafatlama işlemi ve personelin yalın ayakla çalıştıkları düşünülürse ve her yerin katranlı oldugu düşünülürse ,bence imkansız

I have painted many decks of models of the late 1700s a very light, pale, grey…almost a grey wash where the wood grain clearly shows. The grey is not as stark as white, is more subtle, and probably a bit more realistic. The decks of many Navy ships were holystoned using sea water…when they dried the salt remained creating the white appearance. My take on your question…and I have also read the complete Hornblower series!

Last edited:
you can explore these topics

beyaz olma olasılıgı bence hiç yok,kalafatlama işlemi ve personelin yalın ayakla çalıştıkları düşünülürse ve her yerin katranlı oldugu düşünülürse ,bence imkansız
I don't think there's any possibility of it being white, given the caulking process and the staff working barefoot and considering that everywhere is tar, I think it's impossible.

I've only left the decking unfinished (just a matte varnish). A lot of holly-stoning would certainly remove any paint. My choice of decking tends to be a blond wood - basswood probably.

Back