dead eyes and chain plates

just wondering if there is some kind of rule of thumb for shipwrights and making and installing the deadeye chain plates and would rope from the deadeyes ever be rubbing on the ship's top rails! just doesn't seem correct to me to allow them to rub!

For what it's worth I did read somewhere that the distance between deadeyes should be 3 times the diameter of the deadeye. And no, I don't think they should rub the rail, either.

For what it's worth I did read somewhere that the distance between deadeyes should be 3 times the diameter of the deadeye. And no, I don't think they should rub the rail, either.
Thank you! I know about the 3X the diameter measurement, but I’m still searching for more information about the types, attachments and shipwright science when it comes to the chain plates that hold the dead eyes and shrouds! Or should I just take some artistic license and do my own thing hoping to come close to a historically scale look !

I think I figured out my problem and I enlarged the channels further out! The kits are way under sized! One view shows them good but another view shows them way too small!

IMG_5800.jpeg

IMG_5805.jpeg

IMG_5804.jpeg

IMG_5803.jpeg

IMG_5801.jpeg

IMG_5802.jpeg

IMG_5806.jpeg

IMG_5799.jpeg

IMG_5798.jpeg

IMG_5797.jpeg

IMG_5796.jpeg

I know that the plans show the shrouds going on the outside but I would think that they would come down inside of the gunnnals/railing that tilt on outward angle and then to outside at the at the he deck level. I would think that the channels would be damaged when going alongside a pier etc.

Back