Cutting Slots

Last edited:
I am not sure if I could control the dremel. I'll give your advice a trial on similar stock. Thanks for the advice.
So...when cutting the slots, I drilled two holes as mentioned, then drew two pencil lines parallel from hole to hole. After that, I cut along the pencil lines, hole to hole, with a #11 X-Acto knife. Then I used a micro V gouge to dig a trough. Several careful passes created a nice slot. I then used a rotary tool with a very small burr to hog out addition material (with a light, controlling touch). And like you mentioned, try on scrap first.Screenshot_20220321-132747_Chrome.jpg

Thanks Philski. I order the carving tool. Your work looks incredible. I'm gone for 2 weeks and will have the tools upon my return.

Thank You!

I have used a rotary tool with a cutting disc, then cleaned it up with a micro file. It was easier to control than a knife and provided much better results than drilling.

You know, I might be wrong, but it looks like to me that the Chain Plates are FORMED over those Wales Strips and there is no slot of any kind. It looks to me from the drawings that the Chain Plates are BENT at 90 degree angles up and down (several times). BUT, if that is the case, then - that is or would have been a lot of work done for that ship back then. Or it could be the drawings do not depict what is going on here.
Otherwise, if a slot needs to be cut, you are only cutting through TWO Wales strips anyway. Can't that be done with an exacto knife and pry out the loose piece?

You know, I might be wrong, but it looks like to me that the Chain Plates are FORMED over those Wales Strips and there is no slot of any kind. It looks to me from the drawings that the Chain Plates are BENT at 90 degree angles up and down (several times). BUT, if that is the case, then - that is or would have been a lot of work done for that ship back then. Or it could be the drawings do not depict what is going on here.
Otherwise, if a slot needs to be cut, you are only cutting through TWO Wales strips anyway. Can't that be done with an exacto knife and pry out the loose piece?
Jst looking, it seems they must go through the railing....?

I think this is the same Flying FIsh as you can see the Plates molded over the Wales. Now, I am NOT saying this is correct or not correct, but this is a strange way of doing this.

ff.jpg

I'm with Donnie on this. Also, I would think, from a functional standpoint on the real ship, cutting the wales to allow the chain plate to pass through would create notches that potentially catch on a pier structure and defeat their purpose. Just my 2 cents.

I totally agree that something is amiss. Here is a quick sketch of how I think it would have been done on the ship:20220326_110548.jpg
Fair winds.. Ed

Allright!.. Allright! Did I say I was an artist? :)

Thanks for all your comments/ advice. The plates go over the wale and through the cap. Or that’s what the drawing calls for. And other builds demonstrate the same thing.

I know this is an old subject/question. Over the summer I spend most my free time "on" a boat. Know that is getting into fall I relooked at all this and was determined to somehow get this job complete - cutting 16 slots. What I found the easiest and most uniform if to mark the center of the slott, drill a small pilot hole, heat the tip of a X-Acto knife with a torch and carefully burned the slots through the cap rail. It has seemed to work! After getting going I could do 4 slots in less than 10 minutes. I have a little clean up and touch up afterwards. But it worked. Once all don I'll show the finished product.

Back