Cutting frames

Hello everyone I'm getting ready to cut out the timber frames & futtocks & I know I have to add 1/8" inboard & out for midship frames, 1/4 " for the fore & aft frames, I am wondering what line I should be going by I know the dotted lines & the inner lines are for the fairing radius , I guess I'm asking if I should be adding to the outer lines, this is my first scratch build & If you look at the one's I have glued down I added when I cut the patterns out so I think I should be cutting right on the paper line , I would love any suggestions or opinions, thank you have a great day

20220218_140857.jpg

20220218_151623.jpg

20220218_140857.jpg

it looks good to me i would cut the parts out along the paper edge but then sand them closer to the line

Hello everyone I'm getting ready to cut out the timber frames & futtocks & I know I have to add 1/8" inboard & out for midship frames, 1/4 " for the fore & aft frames, I am wondering what line I should be going by I know the dotted lines & the inner lines are for the fairing radius , I guess I'm asking if I should be adding to the outer lines, this is my first scratch build & If you look at the one's I have glued down I added when I cut the patterns out so I think I should be cutting right on the paper line , I would love any suggestions or opinions, thank you have a great day

View attachment 291942

View attachment 291945

View attachment 291946
Wow! That's a lot of sawing huh? Scrollsaw? Will you be using a drum or reciprocating sander to reach the lines? I don't think I'm quite ready for full-blown scratch building, but it is attractive...lots to learn!

Wow! That's a lot of sawing huh? Scrollsaw? Will you be using a drum or reciprocating sander to reach the lines? I don't think I'm quite ready for full-blown scratch building, but it is attractive...lots to learn!
Exactly what I will be doing..

Good preparation.
I suggest to make a test of cutting, glueing together the double frame and sanding with the spindle sander.
Just prepare one complete frame with everything necessary, so you can check best the way and where you cut.
Do not choose a frame of midship, because there are the differences too small, better is one of the marked area
IMG_38261.jpg

Do not forget to update your building log of your HMS Sussex !!

Good preparation.
I suggest to make a test of cutting, glueing together the double frame and sanding with the spindle sander.
Just prepare one complete frame with everything necessary, so you can check best the way and where you cut.
Do not choose a frame of midship, because there are the differences too small, better is one of the marked area
View attachment 292417

Do not forget to update your building log of your HMS Sussex !!
Thank you!!!

Back