Cross Pieces versus Half Floors

Please could someone enlighten me as to the differences between these two designs of frame lower sections? I am currently assuming a cross piece is a length of timber that passes over the keel and joins the first futtock on either side. Is a half floor two pieces of timber that join over the keel that again lead outwards to the first futtock? What is evident is the two types of frame butt each other strengthening the central half floor joint.

A sketch would help before I cut too many incorrect frames.

Thanks Seagull Shipwright…….

Thank you to those that responded with advice on cross pieces and half floors, information greatly appreciated. According to the midship section these are used alternately along the keel, I assume until the fore and aft cant frames. I propose to build these individually and taper according to the specification. I will join them together in pairs for added strength when fettling the cut out for the keel and assembling to the model at a later stage.

I made shortly a new topic in the area Construction Details of Ships in more detail and show all of these composite models made by James Lees

Back