coiling cannon rope

will give it a go . is there a dollar store in your area found great plastic clamps ,for 6 for 1.25

20230515_132444.jpg

is there a way to coil small rope my attempt are not very good all idea are most welcome
Here's my technique. Smear a thin film of white glue on a piece of 3x5 card. Make the coil in the glue (it will hold the line as you form the coil). Let the glue dry than carfully cut around the edges of the coil so none of the card shows. The glue the card with coil to the deck. Works for me. An example is in the attached photo.IMG_0664.jpeg

From one of my earlier posts:
The first picture below shows the jigs used for winding the flakes between two layers of perspex. The thread can be either wiped with PVA glue or a blob may be placed between the plates near the pin. PVA does not stick to perspex so the sheets can be separated when the glue has dried. The winding process is visible through the perspex.
The second picture below shows the results. The camera is not very kind; to the naked eye it is not so obvious that the blocks are square, not round.
Flaking.jpg Gun tackles.jpg

Been there, done that. My HMS Victory landed on the shelf for 8 years, to figuer out how to make nice clean english coils ( called flemish coils :) ).
Finaly, after all intermediate projects were done, i found a YT-film of someone showing he did it on a piece of tape. I refined this using a length of dubble sided tape.
Put a small nail or a needle through the tape in the plank below, lay the rope in excentric circles around this centrepoint. Put some undeluted woodglue on the rope and let dry (diluted glue will suck in the rope and you dont want that)
When dry, put a knife flat under the coil to release it from the tape. et voilà, a perfect coil. Turn it over and glue it on the deck over the leading part of the rope comming from the gun.

Back