CNC 3018 PRO BM Laser Engraver Wood Router Machine + Offline Controller GRBL

Congratulations and good luck!
How much did it cost? You mentioned that you needed support for the IT side. What was it?
János
János,

In all honesty, I really didn't need IT support, I just needed to go to the manufacturer's website and read the FAQ for the initial operation of the machine.

When I first connected the machine and attempted to engrave my first piece, nothing happened. I checked all the wire connections, tightened all screws, and did everything I could think of. Still nothing. After reading the FAQ I discovered that the Emergency Shutoff switch comes from the factory in the "kill" position. (Read - Homer Simpson Moment). I unlocked the switch and as if by magic, everything worked perfectly.

Sadly, I emailed tech support BEFORE I read the FAQ and felt like a total idiot :(

Hank

Hi Shota70,

I finally read your thread here. Again, I suggest a special CNC thread to merge all the experiments, files, idea and others ressources if admin and others members think it is valuable.

p.s. did you play with your feed speed, feed rate and tried smaller milling bits ?

Hi Shota70,

I finally read your thread here. Again, I suggest a special CNC thread to merge all the experiments, files, idea and others ressources if admin and others members think it is valuable.

p.s. did you play with your feed speed, feed rate and tried smaller milling bits ?
Sir,

I agree, very much, with the idea of having a thread devoted to CNC operation as it relates to ship modeling.

I've owned my FoxAlien 3018 for about four months now and though I consider myself very proficient in its operation, I am, by no means an "Expert." After all, an "Expert" is essentially a person who has stopped learning.

However, I do believe I have much to offer others; especially in the areas of initial set-up, bit selection, feed rates for all three axis'. I've become somewhat proficient in the use of AutoDesk's Fusion 360 - a wonderful application that not only provides an intuitive design environment but also simulation of the actual carving/engraving operation.

So, with that being said, please add my name to the list of demands for a separate CAD/CAM/CNC thread.

Hank

Sir,

You may want to look into AutoDesk's Fusion360 as an alternative to Rhino. It is FREE (As in Beer/Scotch/etc.) for the "hobby" users such as you and I. I've found it far more intuitive than any similar applications available. After a few non-credit courses at the University of YouTube, I was up and running in no time.

By the way, judging by the pictures you've provided, it appears you are using a spiral, down-cut bit for your carvings. I say this because of the "fuzziness" along the edges of your carving. I've learned that this fuzziness can be all but eliminated by using a straight bit. Of course, a tighter grained material (maple, birch, etc) also helps but using a straight bit was the ticket for me.

Respectfully,

Hank

And may be we could share our cnc files, even G-Codes.

One drwaback to sharing, is the case of peoples who want to become producer of milled material. Hpwever, sharing files about ship modeling piece (stand, grating, ornementation...) would be really cool.

I have a lots of infos. 3/4 are read. We can have a lexical, free ebook and tuto, etc section.

Jimksy is an admin. Can we assume that the demand is officially provided ?

Again, sorry for my english. I read efficiently, but for speaking and writing, it is an other more difficult task for me.

Michel

Hello friends,
This milling machine is not very powerful and in this case you have to make several passes cutting very little material each time. The speed of horizontal movement should also be slower.
I use professional milling machines (I am working in a FabLab) and to generate the g-code I use VCarve-Pro but it is paid software. However, I am experimenting with the functionality of the FreeCAD 0.19 "Path" module which looks promising for free software.
I agree with Hank about the helical cutters. To make clean cuts, it is best to use straight cutters. For engraving, a 60 ° conical cutter must be used. Finally, for the finish on a 2.5D model, we use a bur with a hemispheric head.
Regards,
Fred

Last edited:
Hi Fred,

Since it is a hobby for the majority of us, patience is supposed to be the rule. So, feed speed and speed rate on the down side should not be a problem.

Also thanks for the advises.

Michel

Dear friends
Thanks for the advice The truth is that I intended to use and experiment with AutoDesk's Fusion360 software I will continue to follow here.
By the way I experimented with different sizes of milling machines and at varied speeds.

Hi Fred,

Since it is a hobby for the majority of us, patience is supposed to be the rule. So, feed speed and speed rate on the down side should not be a problem.

Also thanks for the advises.

Michel

Michael,
I don’t believe Fred’s comments were meant to be demeaning nor should they be taken as such. However, he is spot on regarding speeds, feeds cutter type etc. This applies to any CNC machine. They are integral in producing a quality part. Wood type is also an essential variable to be considered.
I’m on my third CNC machine and by no means am I an expert. I only wish I would have a had better advice when I started out. Probably would have saved me several $$ and frustration so I too would like to see a dedicated spot here on SOS. We just have to be conscious as posters and readers as to what size machine we are talking about.
I’m doing this as a hobby for my personal satisfaction. I certainly don’t care to make production work as one off pieces are what I do. I use Vectric’s Aspire as my design software which also generates the gcode.

Ron

OH! Ron, I really wanted not to be rude or somethings like this. As stated before, my english is approximative and I am a bite lazy on the Keyboard too. I appreciate the comment made by Fred, he is right on his comment. I just wanted to point out that I am ready to take time since I am not a commercial woodworker where time frame should be optimal.

As you point out, maybe the thread could be divise in two sections : hobby and Pro.

Thanks for your reply Ron.

Michel

I am using Rhino3d to make the drawings, you can find the free demo version at https://www.rhino3d.com/
Export your files as .DXF so the next software can handle them.

To convert the drawings to gcode i am using Estlcam. This is an easy to work with cam software. You can find it at https://www.estlcam.de/
Once you made the gcode file, it will automatically go to a simulation.

The third software i use is Candle. With this software you run your CNC machine. This came with my machine on a usb stick. When using google i find this link: https://github.com/Denvi/Candle

A lot of tutorials of these 3 softwares can be found on youtube.
Did you have to change Estlcam nc gcode for offline controller to work correctly? Assuming that GRBL controller is programed by Estlcam. Going to large format table, (4'x8') and do not want to have USB cable tied to computer.

Back