Clipper ship book???

I could not find out from which publications these sketches are, but they are often used

I could not find out from which publications these sketches are, but they are often used

yes exactly, they are on the net (at those links above and a few Pinterest boards, they obviously come from some book as they have page numbers on some (looks like an older book maybe), there is no attribution on any of them nor any footnotes, and I will be d@mned if I can figure out where they come from. It is driving me rather crazy..... so was hoping someone here had a copy of the book in question that I could be pointed to... I really don't want to have to go and buy a copy of every clipper ship book to figure this out....

yeah, I thought about that one Dave, but then the "Vision" of Liverpool doesn't sound like an American built clipper. I am not convinced all are from the same book, but many if not most are it would appear. The quest continues....

jeff

Most of these pictures come from the book "China Tea Clippers" by George F. Campbell. It is one of the classic books on the subject. It concentrates more on british built clippers. I'm not really sure if pics 4 and 8 of #2 are from this book.

Last edited:
My copy of this great resource was reprinted in 1990 by International Marine Publishing Company in Camden Maine. It is copyrighted 1974 from Great Briton. My 30 year old copy states that "software is for sale (concerning the book?) from TAB Books Software Department, Blue Ridge Summit, PA 17924-0850.

I am going to have to look at what clipper books I have to see if I have that on in my library.

I bought several used books on clippers, to help with future build of Cutty Sark from AL that I have.

I too have a copy of China Tea Clippers, but tried to find another copy recently to no avail. Other books I am sure most people have are, Nepean Longridge Anatomy of Nelson's Ships AMAZON and for Titanic builders RMS Titanic a model makers manual by Peter Davies-Garner. describing his 18 foot model. www.seaforthpublishing.com, ISBN 98 1 5267 3733 5 If you are keen on clippers, I strongly recommend CLIPPER SHIPS and the GOLDEN AGE OF SAIL by SAM JEFFERSON, magnificently illustrated and describing the intense rivalry between crews even to the point of 1 skipper pulling a gun on his crew to prevent them bringing in sail where there was obviously far too much aloft for the conditions. AMAZON Kindle or hardback. Regards to all. Ian Smith

Back