Clamping a lathe part

Anyone that does their own modelling comes across the problem of clamping a square part on a lathe's 3 point chuck. Yes some folks just purchase a 4 jaw chuck but even then it's difficult to center the piece in the chuck. So, this may be a semi sophisticated solution for those that have the right tools.

I have created a jig using cadcam tools and 3d printing. What I do is draw a nominal diameter circle and center it with a square of the stanchion's dimentions. Using 3d extrude/press-pull tools I create a cylinder with a square hole. Then I cap one end with a small hole for the live center end. Both nominal dimentions. Use two of these pieces and clamp in the piece you're going to lathe cut. See my drawing to get the jist of where I'm going

.20230702_074115[1].jpg

Attachments

• 20230702_074115[1].jpg
    20230702_074115[1].jpg
    163 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Anyone that does their own modelling coms across the problem of clamping a square part on a lathe's 3 point chuck. Yes some folks just purchase a 4 jaw chuck but even then it's difficult to center the piece in the chuck. So, this may be a semi sophisticated solution for those that have the right tools.

I have created a jig using cadcam tools and 3d printing. What I do is draw a nominal diameter circle and center it with a square of the stanchion's dimentions. Using 3d extrude/press-pull tools I create a cylinder with a square hole. Then I cap one end with a small hole for the live center end. Both nominal dimentions. Use two of these pieces and clamp in the piece you're going to lathe cut. See my drawing to get the jist of where I'm going

.View attachment 382423

View attachment 382421
Hi, with three-jaw chuck I use this system , bushing with longitudinal cut , see photo

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-07-02 at 14.15.13.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-07-02 at 14.15.13.jpeg
    121 KB · Views: 33
I also prefer the independent adjustable 4-jaw chuck, I picked mine up off of ebay for a third the price, it was a used Sherline and just needed cleaning. I bought it specifically for the need to clamp square or rectangular parts.

Back