carving

this can be just a tutorial on carving OR extended to building a stern with moldings and perhaps the addition of cabin detail. What i did was build a mockup of the project idea. The mockup can be made to any scale from making the stern from side to side 3 inches or as large 9 inches making it possible for anyone who can build a kit carve the detail.
The mockup is fast and crude and just a proof of concept. If your just interested in trying your hand at carving a blank then all you need it the scroll work at the stern.

View attachment 264324View attachment 264325View attachment 264326View attachment 264327
Best tutorial I’ve ever seen. Thanks a lot for taking your time

Hallo my friend Hellmuht - that is really looking very good - Bravo

Hallo my friend Hellmuht - that is really looking very good - Bravo

Uwe

I have started to work in some decorations. But it is quite frustrating . They are smaller and the technic is completely different.

I saw you bought some rusian micro tools. How big are they?

Uwe

I have started to work in some decorations. But it is quite frustrating . They are smaller and the technic is completely different.

I saw you bought some rusian micro tools. How big are they?
I have my set already some years, the smallest are 0,5mm
IMG_37761.jpgIMG_37771.jpgIMG_37781.jpgIMG_37791.jpgIMG_37801.jpgIMG_37811.jpgIMG_37821.jpg

These are very good small chisels.
Other carvers, which are masters like @Ivan Trtanj are using only high speed electric drills from dentists etc. - As I know Ivan is not using chisels since years

I missed this tutorial. Nice Dave. @Dave Stevens (Lumberyard)

@Schrader Hellmuht nice carvings, I started also with carving, but now I do drilling like Uwe said, most carvers do. More detail and more in controll

I use these https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/...our-workshop-present-it-here.2103/post-167261

but when you look to a nice cheap sisal set that is perfect to handle look at here https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/3296...-1;5.74;-1;-1@salePrice;EUR;search-mainSearch This one I use and is perfect to work with. Got other from Alie but that one is the best I got there. You can search on Aliexpress on "Olive pit carving" for more like the drills for the electric tool.
I like the set of Uwe, but it seems to have a price. Maybe in the future :)

Dear Friends,
I would like to ask A question about carving / sculpting in boxwood:
whether it is very hard to need knock sculptors and not hand sculptors, or whether it is soft enough and suitable for working with hand sculptors and for small-scale sculpture like figuredhead ?
thanks

@shota70
Boxwood is always small pieces of wood. It comes not from trees but from bushes (the one with leaves :) ).
You carf or scrape them by hand or use a dremel and milling cutter. The wood is dense. What makes it strong, hard and easy to work with. Special for tiny work.

Dear Friends,
I would like to ask A question about carving / sculpting in boxwood:
whether it is very hard to need knock sculptors and not hand sculptors, or whether it is soft enough and suitable for working with hand sculptors and for small-scale sculpture like figuredhead ?
thanks
Boxwood (Russian Samshit) is a very hard\dense, it is like steel, I agree with Stephan @Steef66. This wood can hold the edge perfectly and you can show intricate details. Carving with a knife would be a huge\challanging task. You will need a rotary tool and lots of different burs. What here is called boxwood is any variation of Castello (European, Indian, Brazilian....you name it). This wood is less dense and can be carved with knifes\chisels. This is a very good wood for carvings.
However, in Russia, we use Linden wood for carving. The wood can be carved using a knife only! With sharp tools, it can be easily processed to a great look. Most of the Russian wooden souvenirs (plates\spoons) are made from Linden (Lipa) wood. If you can find it in your country, this would be the best wood for you to practice. It is relatively cheap.

Back