CA

I haven't investigated this at all but I was sticking something together and realized that I had the glue (CA) on but hadn't dampened the other piece. My hands were both busy so I just licked the dry piece and stuck them together. They stuck immediately. I'm wondering if saliva is a bit basic and acts as an accelerator or if it was just the dampness. It seemed to be faster than our tap water. Our tap water is very pure, we can use it in car batteries. I'm thinking that a lot of peoples tap water is a little alkali (basic) so it would accelerate curing but water that was neutral or slightly acidic may not.

I haven't investigated this at all but I was sticking something together and realized that I had the glue (CA) on but hadn't dampened the other piece. My hands were both busy so I just licked the dry piece and stuck them together. They stuck immediately. I'm wondering if saliva is a bit basic and acts as an accelerator or if it was just the dampness. It seemed to be faster than our tap water. Our tap water is very pure, we can use it in car batteries. I'm thinking that a lot of peoples tap water is a little alkali (basic) so it would accelerate curing but water that was neutral or slightly acidic may not.
I've done that before....it works well, especially for small parts.....pucker up!

just make sure you lick the correct side hey? lol

I found I like working with the small tubes of CA glue. The tips of the larger bottles always got clogged and sloppy after a while. I found the following works best for me. If you are in the USA, Harbour Freight sells ten .01oz thin CA tubes for $2.99 and ten .01 oz thick gel tubes for $3.99. And you get 10% off. The tips of the tubes are rather small aldo. Each tube lasts a few days and you are always using fresh glue. It actually costs about the same as the bottles.

Oops! I should have also said that most of my gluing is done with wood glue when ever possible.

can you please provide documented proof? I have read sites on CA properties and found it to still be intact after 40 years.
OK - you raise a valid point; but there is a caveat.
"The craft galleries started to complain that the pieces they were trying to sell were disassembling themselves and crumbling on the shelf. It turns out that the first generation of cyanoacrylates were only stable for three to five years. I don’t know the chemistry involved, but they went from a hard stable plastic to a powdery dust spontaneously."
So the exact formula has an impact. Cheap brands seem a definite no-no. More modern CA is modified by various additives. Personally, I do not trust CA for permanence. All those hours spent building should result in longevity. Besides, if a glue is "permanent" then repairs are compromised. Conservators like reversibility. Starch glue has a demonstrated life of hundreds of years for display models if kept out of the rain. It also permits repairs.

OK - you raise a valid point; but there is a caveat.
"The craft galleries started to complain that the pieces they were trying to sell were disassembling themselves and crumbling on the shelf. It turns out that the first generation of cyanoacrylates were only stable for three to five years. I don’t know the chemistry involved, but they went from a hard stable plastic to a powdery dust spontaneously."
So the exact formula has an impact. Cheap brands seem a definite no-no. More modern CA is modified by various additives. Personally, I do not trust CA for permanence. All those hours spent building should result in longevity. Besides, if a glue is "permanent" then repairs are compromised. Conservators like reversibility. Starch glue has a demonstrated life of hundreds of years for display models if kept out of the rain. It also permits repairs.
For reversablity, condider hide glue. Just be prepared for drying time and clamping. And I've used Titebond PVA's extensively. Using them on a wooden model is certainly possible but it would progress so slowly.

Tite Bond is terrific for wood to wood bonding but for use with non porous material such as metal or plastics it is poor. CA defanitly has its uses and it would be
hard to build without it.

I have used CA for many years and never had a problem with gluing my fingers together. But there would be times when I could not get two pieces of wood to hold using CA. Don’t understand why. Is this is what accelerator is used for?
Hallo @JKB
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

CA shelf life is 3 months after opening. One more reason not to use a CA.
Hi, I no longer buy the larger 1 or 2 oz bottles. For those in the USA. I buy all my CA glue (thin and gel) from Harbor Freight. They sell 10 small tubes of .1 oz for $2.99 (thin) and $3.99 (Gel). I am always using new glue.

Back