Build Log: Corel Wasa SM13

LCB

I’m new to the site and ship building. This is my father’s ship, that he started some time ago. He got sidetracked then developed Alzheimer’s. I thought it would be nice to finish the product. I have several questions for anyone who can help. My dad stopped because he said he made an error. He never said what it was, but he was a perfectionist with OCD.

I have read several build logs of the Wasa and I know this kit has flaws. I am not looking to build it to historic record, just the way the kit came. I’m trying to understand a few things I have noticed in other builds. The hand rails and the canon holes-are the supports for the rails one piece of wood that also frame the cannon holes? On the bow of the ship, is there suppose to be support for the curved bow? See the pics.

Thanks for any feed back you may have.
I also am in need of some of the plans as there are a few pages missing in his set.

IMG_4528.jpeg

IMG_4529.jpeg

IMG_4530.jpeg

IMG_4531.jpeg

IMG_4532.jpeg

Congratulations for the quality of your fathers work - it is looking like a very good basis to finalize the model in good quality.
Unfortunately I do not fully understand your open questions, but I am pretty sure, that with the time we all will help and assist, and try to answer all your questions

BTW: When you have the manual / instruction, it will be mnost important to check the content still in your box, so that you know more in detail, if you have all the parts necessary to finish the project.....

Congratulations for the quality of your fathers work - it is looking like a very good basis to finalize the model in good quality.
Unfortunately I do not fully understand your open questions, but I am pretty sure, that with the time we all will help and assist, and try to answer all your questions
He asks whether the top railings also serve as reinforcement around the round cannon holes - they certainly do, but it is done a bit differently. As for the question about the bow support, I also think it is correct. Link with photos for comparison.

He asks whether the top railings also serve as reinforcement around the round cannon holes - they certainly do, but it is done a bit differently. As for the question about the bow support, I also think it is correct. Link with photos for comparison.
Thank you for the insight with the link. I believe the bow is close enough and do not plan to redo that area. As for the handrail supports around the canon holes, I see no indication on the plans that would lead me to believe the supports of the hull also are used for the handrail and cannon anchors. In fact, I noticed a sketch of breaking the tips of the hull support off. It is likely just the Corel plans. I am not going for accuracy of the actual ship, but for completion. Any helpful advice and techniques are greatly appreciated.

IMG_4559.jpeg

BTW: When you have the manual / instruction, it will be mnost important to check the content still in your box, so that you know more in detail, if you have all the parts necessary to finish the project.....
Yes. I have looked at the parts at length. It is very difficult to tell if I actually do have all the parts. I believe I will have to start the build to basically stumble across the missing parts. He separated all the gold embellishments and did not number them. Nothing in the kit has any numbers on them. I guess it is up to the builder to identify the part by the plan picture.

Figure 5 is the upper part of the rib that needs to be cut to fit the Sides. Similarly, you can see it on another model in the photo. It's done correctly in your model. The reinforcements are inside the sides of real ship, don't modify anything.
cut ana.png

I am in need of assistance on identifying and understanding the instructions. I have looked over the plans and believe I have a starting place; however, I do not understand the parts list. I am missing part 128 (Bittone NO 5x7 1 -). I do not understand what the 5x7 means. Upon looking in the manual the NO means “nut”- does this mean a specific wood like walnut? Is this suppose to be a square dowel of some sort? Then there is the matter of part 124 (Base Albero CMN 1,5 1 CMN205). This is walnut plywood, but what does the 1,5 mean? Is this basically like the cannon doors? Or is this a piece I have to build the square around the mast?

IMG_4563.jpeg

E093551B-D896-4836-A485-55D916F2A1BF.jpeg

Preparing to start the build process and I am trying to get my bearings on the plans and understand what has been completed. I have looked over the plans and the ship at length and I cannot figure out the placement or the parts for that matter of this drawing. This is what I do know (NO=Nut, CMN=Walnut Plywood). I have no idea what LF is.

Any help is appreciated.

Part Number, Description, Material, Quantity, Catalog Number
100 Listello NO 2x2 - LS234
93 Cormano NO 1x4 - LS231
92 Listello NO 1x1 - LS228
94 Listello NO 2x2 - LS234
90 Serpe CMN 1,5 2 CM 205
91 Listello NO 1x2 - LS229
98 Listello NO 2x3 - LS235
95 Serpe Sup LF 2x4 - LF204
87 Decorazione - 1 D227
97 Listello NO 1x1 - LS228
96 Serpe Inf LF 2x4 - LF204

IMG_4558.jpeg

@oldflyer
John, can you help this gentleman? He is trying to finish a Corel Vasa started by his father.

@Short John Bronze
I seem to recall you had some English instructions for the Corel Vasa - can you assist here?

Hello LCB, it seems much of what you are struggling with is unique to the Corel version of this ship. I just tagged a few guys who built this kit - maybe they can help.

For myself, I can answer many questions about the actual ship - and can send you piles of resources if you want to chase after historical accuracy - but that might be overwhelming as you are new to model shipbuilding.

If you want to share...where are you located? Maybe there is a forum member who lives near you who could help???

LCB. The 2 sheets (I have sent you) of plans 3/A ad 3/B show some of these parts. This is part #128 it is 5x7mm in size. You need to cut your own part #128 from a piece of 5x7mm wood.
IMG_3416.JPG

Last edited:
Yes the part of the bulkhead above the deck is broken off. As you can see in the image, there is no bulkhead stem between the hull planking and the bulwark.
IMG_3418.JPG

And the instructions tell you to break them off.
IMG_3417.JPG

Reactions: LCB
LCB From your post #9
Look up the parts from the Corel catalog # in the parts list. example
LF204. google this...
Screenshot 2023-11-16 at 9.30.47 AM.png

This is the link. So it's a 2x4mm strip of (if you click the image in the link) which looks like Mahogany.
LINK

Reactions: LCB
Preparing to start the build process and I am trying to get my bearings on the plans and understand what has been completed. I have looked over the plans and the ship at length and I cannot figure out the placement or the parts for that matter of this drawing. This is what I do know (NO=Nut, CMN=Walnut Plywood). I have no idea what LF is.

Any help is appreciated.

Part Number, Description, Material, Quantity, Catalog Number
100 Listello NO 2x2 - LS234
93 Cormano NO 1x4 - LS231
92 Listello NO 1x1 - LS228
94 Listello NO 2x2 - LS234
90 Serpe CMN 1,5 2 CM 205
91 Listello NO 1x2 - LS229
98 Listello NO 2x3 - LS235
95 Serpe Sup LF 2x4 - LF204
87 Decorazione - 1 D227
97 Listello NO 1x1 - LS228
96 Serpe Inf LF 2x4 - LF204

View attachment 407372
After several hours on the internet…I realize this is a cross section of the bow (yay me!). Thanks for looking.

LCB. The 2 sheets (I have sent you) of plans 3/A ad 3/B show some of these parts. This is part #128 it is 5x7mm in size. You need to cut your own part #128 from a piece of 5x7mm wood.
View attachment 407373
You’re a rock star! I figured this is what I needed. Anxiously awaiting the arrival of these. In the mean time…onward to identifying what I have.

Thanks for the image. I'm currently working on the Niagra and have about a year to go as I can only spare 2-3 hrs/day on modeling. I purchased the Wasa kit while it was on a great sale, hoping it would be my next ship (I've completed 5 now), but one of my kids bought me the Niagra for Christmas, so I started it first. I saved your image to help me with the Wasa.

Back