Books bought on eBay

I would like to have the Plank on frame models vol I and II (blue cloth books). I wonder if there are anymore.

Is this the same books -(BELOW) the other blue cloth is like $345 --- !!!!

1653748142515.png

1653748181130.png

Donnie: In answer to your questions about the Underhill book set:

I would like to have the Plank on frame models vol I and II (blue cloth books). I wonder if there are anymore.

Is this the same books -(BELOW) the other blue cloth is like $345 --- !!!!

The pair priced at 29.99 is the same as the set priced $345, except the former was the dust jackets. However, the higher priced set may be in better condition, or may be a first edition, etc. But if I didn't already own these great books, I'd grab them up at @29.99 no matter the condition.

I am sure the text is the same, the below books are most likely original print and very rare, and this is why the price is high. They are mostly collectible.

wait...one book about masting and rigging, another (below) scale hull construction :cool: They are two different sets.

Hi yes mine are the same as the top ones , I think I paid £20 English pounds From eBay , if you need any more information let me know82FC19CB-267F-497D-A88B-76F48636C3CB.png

This is all I could find and went ahead with ordering. There were none that Red Dragon mentioned - his looks like a newer reprint. But as long as material is the same.

1653789251981.png

Harold A. Underhill books.

I have just seen the thread regarding books purchased on eBay and was quite surprised to see the books by the above author since I had never seen them either on-line or in bookshops before.
I have had the two “Plank on Frame” volumes on my bookshelf for over 50 years having bought them, direct from the publishers Brown, Son and Ferguson in April, 1970 when I was a mere, callow youth of 24. I know this date because I wrote my name on each volume’s fly-leaf - Volume 1 on the 6th April and Volume 2 on the 18th ; apart from this both books are ‘undamaged’. They were published in 1968, (the second reprint) and both contain all the original text, sketches, plans and photos and, apart from some slight fading around the pages’ edges, are in excellent condition.

I also have one further book by this excellent author entitled “Masting and Rigging – The Clipper Ship and Ocean Carrier’ which I must have acquired second-hand from somewhere though I can’t now remember details. This is a book of some 300 pages copiously illustrated with 50 ‘plates’, numerous sketches in the body of the text and a fold-out plan of the belaying-pin layout of a fully-rigged ship. The author’s foreword is dated 1948 so I presume this was also the publication date. Like the other books, apart from a very slight fading (due to sunlight I imagine) this volume is in excellent condition.

Seeing that there is interest on the thread regarding these books and since they’ve lain (shamefully) neglected on my shelves for so long I would be happy to pass them on to a good home now.

Having looked at examples for sale on Amazon and eBay – in disbelief at some of the prices ! – I have taken an average price which works out at £32 for Volume 1, £36 for Volume 2 and £38 for the ‘Masting and Rigging’ book. If anyone is interested in having these books and makes me a sensible offer I’d be happy to post them (at postage cost) so someone else can make use of these very informative and exhaustive books. I'm not looking to make huge profits here.....
If you’d like to see some photos of some of the books’ appearance or contents before deciding I could of course do this.

Happy modelling!

Back