Bluenose ii - Artesania Latina

Good morning, captains!
I hope you're all doing well.
In this thread, I hope to show you the progress of my Bluenose II model from Artesanía Latina. It's a "guerrilla construction" because I currently don't have a designated place to set up a workshop for building it, so you'll see pictures in the backyard, in the dining room, etc. It's a mobile shipyard.

This is my second and largest build so far. The kit is a gift from my father, who inherited the "bad habit" of ship modeling from his uncle, who was a professional modeler and had several of his models exhibited at the Naval Museum in Valparaíso, Chile. Therefore, this build has an important emotional component.

In my ongoing learning process, my goal is to create a model that reflects the current state of the Bluenose II, without necessarily strictly following the kit instructions (I was hoping they would be more specific, but they're not). Honestly, I don't expect to create a perfect or historically impeccable model or anything like that because it would be a huge challenge, but I do expect to have fun and learn while building it as a way to distract myself from everyday life. I will work in short intervals over the course of days.

As my first major comment, I must thank the members of SOS for their posts and the information provided on this website. There is a lot of useful information about construction techniques and, of course, about the Bluenose II. One discovery I made in one of the posts is a virtual tour of the ship moored in Lunenburg. There, we can explore the ship from bow to stern with high-quality images of both the interior and exterior. The link to the virtual tour.

Next, to delve into our topic, you'll be able to see photographs of the hull construction process. Like my first model (Halcon), the hull seems to be the most challenging part since it will have an impact on the final result and appearance of the model. I hope you find this thread enjoyable and useful if there is any chance i can teach you something.

Sending warm regards from Cajón del Maipo, Chile.

WhatsApp Image 2023-05-24 at 11.07.16.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2023-05-24 at 11.07.19 (3).jpegWhatsApp Image 2023-05-24 at 11.07.22 (1).jpegWhatsApp Image 2023-05-24 at 11.07.24 (2).jpeg

Your progress looks good so far, and you are not the only shipwright to use the dinning table as a place to work on ships.

For me it was easier at first, since we ate most meals watching the television anyway.

Good morning, Captains!
Now I'll give you a brief update on the hull work. My plan is to complete all the interventions before moving on to the painting work. Every day I'm more convinced not to install the second planking according to the AL manual and paint the first one directly.
My objetcive is, maybe, to keep this overal texture apereance: Boards, nails, etc.

1686006964949.png

I installed the bollards. I decided to paint them white.
I installed the rudder. I intend to add hinges to it, which are not included in the kit.
I made space for the bowsprit, shrouds, and scuppers. It was a great challenge to cut the openings in the hull to make them as aligned as possible. Despite everything, I'm satisfied with the result. I hope that once everything is painted, it will look good.

I've been jumping from one topic to another. While the starboard bollards were ready, I decided to work on some deck structures. This way, I explore techniques and have fun.

Step by step, progress is being made.
20230604_221653.jpg
20230603_222035.jpg20230604_221659.jpg

20230603_231657.jpg20230603_233856.jpg20230603_234818.jpg

20230603_222035.jpg

Good to see you have started a build-log of the building of your AL Bluenose. The planking looks nice and the adding of the scuppers looks promisin.
And about questions, examples and advices:
In the 1st post of this thread, you will find a excel ‘BN-list’:
It is in the BN YuanQing area, but in the lower part of the list you will see builds of BN’s of other manufacturers.
Incl. 7 of AL. In the column ‘E’ you find the direct link to there build-log’s.
I will ad your build-log to the list.
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
Good morning, Captains!
Now I'll give you a brief update on the hull work. My plan is to complete all the interventions before moving on to the painting work. Every day I'm more convinced not to install the second planking according to the AL manual and paint the first one directly.
My objetcive is, maybe, to keep this overal texture apereance: Boards, nails, etc.

View attachment 378024

I installed the bollards. I decided to paint them white.
I installed the rudder. I intend to add hinges to it, which are not included in the kit.
I made space for the bowsprit, shrouds, and scuppers. It was a great challenge to cut the openings in the hull to make them as aligned as possible. Despite everything, I'm satisfied with the result. I hope that once everything is painted, it will look good.

I've been jumping from one topic to another. While the starboard bollards were ready, I decided to work on some deck structures. This way, I explore techniques and have fun.

Step by step, progress is being made.
View attachment 378017
View attachment 378022View attachment 378023

View attachment 378018View attachment 378019View attachment 378021

View attachment 378020
Great picture of light shining through the scuppers

Good to see you have started a build-log of the building of your AL Bluenose. The planking looks nice and the adding of the scuppers looks promisin.
And about questions, examples and advices:
In the 1st post of this thread, you will find a excel ‘BN-list’:
It is in the BN YuanQing area, but in the lower part of the list you will see builds of BN’s of other manufacturers.
Incl. 7 of AL. In the column ‘E’ you find the direct link to there build-log’s.
I will ad your build-log to the list.
Regards, Peter
Hey, thank you Peter for this!
I will check that list. What an amazing effort just for the colaboration love.

Good morning Captains!
Still working on the hull and the main deck elements. Its a slow but gratifying job.

As I sayd in previus post, the second planking set is not going to be installed, therefore, im going to paint the first one.
At this time, ive got painted a first layer to make sure is everything in order, like gunwale covers, chainwales, etc.
After that, ill make the sanding and masking work and do the final paint.

20230614_212158.jpg

The Captain is very happy to see how this thing is moving forward.
20230614_220940.jpg
WhatsApp Image 2023-06-20 at 13.09.56 (1).jpeg
20230614_215851.jpg

:rolleyes: Got a question to anyone that could help me. What to do with the metalic grey lead looking parts?
Polish, paint them? Any advice would be nice.

See you on the next report!

Good morning, captains!
I hope you're all doing well.
In this thread, I hope to show you the progress of my Bluenose II model from Artesanía Latina. It's a "guerrilla construction" because I currently don't have a designated place to set up a workshop for building it, so you'll see pictures in the backyard, in the dining room, etc. It's a mobile shipyard.

This is my second and largest build so far. The kit is a gift from my father, who inherited the "bad habit" of ship modeling from his uncle, who was a professional modeler and had several of his models exhibited at the Naval Museum in Valparaíso, Chile. Therefore, this build has an important emotional component.

In my ongoing learning process, my goal is to create a model that reflects the current state of the Bluenose II, without necessarily strictly following the kit instructions (I was hoping they would be more specific, but they're not). Honestly, I don't expect to create a perfect or historically impeccable model or anything like that because it would be a huge challenge, but I do expect to have fun and learn while building it as a way to distract myself from everyday life. I will work in short intervals over the course of days.

As my first major comment, I must thank the members of SOS for their posts and the information provided on this website. There is a lot of useful information about construction techniques and, of course, about the Bluenose II. One discovery I made in one of the posts is a virtual tour of the ship moored in Lunenburg. There, we can explore the ship from bow to stern with high-quality images of both the interior and exterior. The link to the virtual tour.

Next, to delve into our topic, you'll be able to see photographs of the hull construction process. Like my first model (Halcon), the hull seems to be the most challenging part since it will have an impact on the final result and appearance of the model. I hope you find this thread enjoyable and useful if there is any chance i can teach you something.

Sending warm regards from Cajón del Maipo, Chile.
Hallo @Capt Rubio
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back