Blending my 2 hobbies

I have been building models since I was 10 years old (plastic kits to wood kits to scratch building) in various subjects (cars, planes, ships, and railroads). I was really into ship and boats in my teens and early 20s. I have focused my efforts on model railroading over the past 35 years but found a way to blend model railroading with building watercraft. For the past 12 years I've been building a bedroom sized operational model railroad layout in O scale based on the Maine 2-foot gauge Wiscasset, Waterville & Farmington Railway as it may have looked in 1925. The blending comes from the waterfront and wharf in the seaport town of Wiscasset, on the Sheepscot River. I have constructed a model of the RR Wharf that was served by the railroad and coastal vessels. Here are some photos of my results.Loading Lumber onto Horatio.jpg
This is the Horatio being loaded with sawn lumber at the wharf in Wiscasset. The photo is curtesy the WW&F Ry Museum.
Schooner D Glynn at Wharf.jpg
This is my modeled version using plans from Blue Jacket for the Smuggler 2 masted schooner. It was scratchbuilt using the POB method. I've named her Dorothy Glynn after my late mother.
Wharf Scene with no schooner.jpg
Here is a view of the wharf without the schooner. There are 2 railroad spurs for railcars to be placed on the wharf for loading/loading. The wharf and structures were scratchbuilt.
I have been spending more time on boat building than railroads lately.
Cheers!
Pete

Thanks everyone for the kind words and likes. I have found there is a different set of "goals" for building a model for a railroad layout versus for display. I rely on many techniques used in boat/ship building for construction while turning to model railroading for finishing (weathering). Everything on my layout is weathered. These were tuff times for folks in rural 1925 Maine. The schooner represents a "coaster", hauling lumber or other bulk items along the eastern coast. They were a marginal business operating with a small crew of 2 - 4.
RogerD: my layout has been featured in the Nov/Dec 2020 "Narrow Gauge and Shortline Gazette". It is scheduled to be covered in Model Railroad Planning in either 2024 or 2025.
Cheers!
Pete

Here are a few more photos of my wharf scene on my O scale Maine 2-foot gauge railroad.Schooner and Steam Ship.JPG
This photo shows the schooner and a passenger steam ship at the wharf.
Steam Ship Salicia.JPG
The steam ship Salicia is a condensed version of the real one. I had to reduce the overall length to fit the space on the layout. This is something model railroaders call selective compression.
Pier Station on RR Wharf.JPG
The steam ship model is removable so I can view the wharf area with the pier station. This is a scratch built scale model of the actual station that was on the wharf.
Coal Storage Shed on other side.JPG
And finally, here is the other side of the wharf with the schooner removed. The structure on the left is a coal storage shed. Pennsylvania coal was moved by schooner, unloaded here, and shipped by rail to a textile plant.
I had great fun building this scene that is part of a 10-ft X 12-ft operating layout in a spare bedroom.
Pete

To the right of the wharf is the waterfront in Wiscasset, Maine. A long trestle carried the railroad along the back of the buildings.
Here a train is headed north and approaching the crossing of the Maine Central.
The Wiscasset Waterfront and Trestle.JPG
To add interest, I built a couple of boats for the water. Here is a dory with a lobsterman readying to tend his traps. The dory is a kit with details I added.
A Lobsterman and his dory.JPG
Next to the dory is a Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack. I scratch built it as a waterline model using lines from an Chappelle book.
A Muscongus Bay Smack.JPG
Finally, here is an overall view with both boats and a train passing by in the back ground.
Both boats with a train on the trestle.JPG
I hope you enjoyed the visit to 1925 Maine!
Pete

That is a great mix of Rail, Sail, and Diorama. Worthy of being in a museum.

The weathering on all of the wood is excellent. It really looks like old piers at the seaside.

Back