Billing Boats - East Indiaman Götheborg 1:100

Look what I've found! I've been looking for a kit of the East Indiaman Götheborg for a while and it seemed the only kit made was the 1:100 scale version from Billing Boats, however it has been discontinued for a while and sold out in all of Europe. Switching from Google to DuckDuckGo, I found this Japanese shop with a very kind owner that still had it in stock and was willing it ship it to me.
IMG_5808 (2).JPG

The kit itself was produced in 2004 and is a pretty simple replica of the Götheborg III (itself a modified version of the original ship) that was put to sea the year before in 2003. It was surely produced by Billing Boats to capitalise on the hype around the Götheborg III and I can understand the kit was discontinued, with the pretty loose relation to the original ship.

Some history for those of you interested:
The original Götheborg I was commissioned in 1738 by the Swedish East India Company to trade with China. The company had 37 ships trading over its history between 1731-1813, but what gave the Götheborg I so much attention was the way it went out. Having completed its third journey back to Gothenburg from China it ran aground on a rock close to Älvsborgs Castle as it was being led in to the anchor point. The cause of the wrecking is unknown and speculations have included drunkenness, insurance fraud and the "dead water" phenomena caused by the fresh water from the river meeting with the sea. Nobody knows for sure.
The ship was fitted with 30 six-pounder cannons and carried 144 men when it launched.

We have some information in Japanese:
IMG_5810.JPG
And some in English:
IMG_5815.JPG
IMG_5817.JPG
IMG_5818.JPG
IMG_5819.JPG
IMG_5811.JPG
IMG_5821.JPG

I plan to finish the HMS Fly before I start seriously on this kit, as it will take some research to get it closer to the original Götheborg I. The cannons were the first things I noticed, you will find only 14 closed cannon ports in the kit plans with no cannon models included. I will try to find out how the full 30 cannons were positioned and include them with proper models, it will surely take some research with there being no surviving plans of Swedish East Indiamen from this time period.

The kit is so old the laser cut planks have bent and I will need to replace them. I was thinking that with having to replace the laser-cut parts and making so many alterations to the plans, it wouldn't hurt to re-scale the model to 1:72 while I'm at it. That would make the full length of the model about 80 cm instead of Billings intended 58 cm and would allow for some better details. If any of you reading this has any experience with re-scaling or tips to share, please let me know if this is possible or if I'm biting off more than I can chew ;) .

/Jacob

I'm surprised there aren't more kits out there for this ship. The replica is sailing around the world, last I heard from their YouTube channel they are making their way to China.

https://www.youtube.com/@SwedishShipGotheborg
Indeed, I would guess it has to do with the lack of original plans/models that makes kit makers perhaps not want to put so much work into something that won't be fully accurate to the original.

The Götheborg III is anchored in the Gothenburg harbour this summer for the city's 400th birthday celebrations and I went to look at it, here are some pictures:
IMG_5674.JPG
IMG_5679.JPG
IMG_5677.JPG
IMG_5681.JPG
IMG_5682.JPG
IMG_5675.JPG
IMG_5724.JPG
IMG_5737 (2).JPG

IMG_5688.JPG

IMG_5690.JPG
All ropes on the ship are made of hemp with exception for this one connected to the wheel, which is made of deer skin to be sure it doesn't stretch or slip on the axis. Smeared in tar which gives off a strong smell.
IMG_5693.JPG
IMG_5696.JPG
IMG_5698.JPG
IMG_5702 (2).JPG
IMG_5701.JPG
IMG_5704.JPG
The cannons were one thing they did have the original plans for and were able to create accurate replicas. You can see the letters "GB" on the top, the initials for Gothenburg:
IMG_5705.JPG
IMG_5706.JPG
IMG_5722.JPG
They also had a small display area on the dock showing cuts of the hull and bowsprit:
IMG_5769.JPG
IMG_5768.JPG

I re-scaled the MS "Dapper Tom" model in reverse going from a 14" model to a 6 and1/2" long model (5/32"= 1' to 1/16"=1') just scaling down the plans on a copy machine. You can make it any size you want that is workable for you. Exact scale doesn't matter, unless you plan on using any aftermarket parts.
At 1 to192 scale I had to make everything. Solid hull at that scale is imperative. (Unless you're REALLY crazy! Although I've seen Harold Hahn technique Admiralty style models in that scale, fully rigged!) My mini-Baltimore Clipper is on the "Finished Models" forum. Good luck with yours Jcob. I look forward to seeing how you approach it and your process. Thanks again for the virtual tour!

Pete

I found your "Dapper Tom", a very good looking model and detailed even though the scale is so small. So you just printed out different size plans until you found a good scale? I will probably have to add quite a few aftermarket things (you can see it is very sparse with details on the package), and that's why I was thinking I should re-scale to a commonly used scale such as 1:72. I think it would be a bit large if I made it 1:64.

Game-plan right now is basically putting the laser-cut boards in a copying machine and test different ways to get the size multiplied by 1.39 and print that out. Let's see how that works out :).

Look what I've found! I've been looking for a kit of the East Indiaman Götheborg for a while and it seemed the only kit made was the 1:100 scale version from Billing Boats, however it has been discontinued for a while and sold out in all of Europe. Switching from Google to DuckDuckGo, I found this Japanese shop with a very kind owner that still had it in stock and was willing it ship it to me.
View attachment 389760

The kit itself was produced in 2004 and is a pretty simple replica of the Götheborg III (itself a modified version of the original ship) that was put to sea the year before in 2003. It was surely produced by Billing Boats to capitalise on the hype around the Götheborg III and I can understand the kit was discontinued, with the pretty loose relation to the original ship.

Some history for those of you interested:
The original Götheborg I was commissioned in 1738 by the Swedish East India Company to trade with China. The company had 37 ships trading over its history between 1731-1813, but what gave the Götheborg I so much attention was the way it went out. Having completed its third journey back to Gothenburg from China it ran aground on a rock close to Älvsborgs Castle as it was being led in to the anchor point. The cause of the wrecking is unknown and speculations have included drunkenness, insurance fraud and the "dead water" phenomena caused by the fresh water from the river meeting with the sea. Nobody knows for sure.
The ship was fitted with 30 six-pounder cannons and carried 144 men when it launched.

We have some information in Japanese:
View attachment 389770
And some in English:
View attachment 389774
View attachment 389775
View attachment 389776
View attachment 389777
View attachment 389778
View attachment 389779

I plan to finish the HMS Fly before I start seriously on this kit, as it will take some research to get it closer to the original Götheborg I. The cannons were the first things I noticed, you will find only 14 closed cannon ports in the kit plans with no cannon models included. I will try to find out how the full 30 cannons were positioned and include them with proper models, it will surely take some research with there being no surviving plans of Swedish East Indiamen from this time period.

The kit is so old the laser cut planks have bent and I will need to replace them. I was thinking that with having to replace the laser-cut parts and making so many alterations to the plans, it wouldn't hurt to re-scale the model to 1:72 while I'm at it. That would make the full length of the model about 80 cm instead of Billings intended 58 cm and would allow for some better details. If any of you reading this has any experience with re-scaling or tips to share, please let me know if this is possible or if I'm biting off more than I can chew ;) .

/Jacob
Just for info. to all building Billing on Facebook there is a a private group of bulder -not a Billing official side. you will have to member. here you can find, buy, sell, asking for missing fittings and much more. I am a member although not active but gets updates every week- ONLY VINTAGE MODELS

Just for info. to all building Billing on Facebook there is a a private group of bulder -not a Billing official side. you will have to member. here you can find, buy, sell, asking for missing fittings and much more. I am a member although not active but gets updates every week- ONLY VINTAGE MODELS
Thanks for the tip! I hope I don't find out I overspent on shipping from Japan when I could've bought the kit from this group. Will check it out.

I found your "Dapper Tom", a very good looking model and detailed even though the scale is so small. So you just printed out different size plans until you found a good scale? I will probably have to add quite a few aftermarket things (you can see it is very sparse with details on the package), and that's why I was thinking I should re-scale to a commonly used scale such as 1:72. I think it would be a bit large if I made it 1:64.

Game-plan right now is basically putting the laser-cut boards in a copying machine and test different ways to get the size multiplied by 1.39 and print that out. Let's see how that works out :).
Sounds like a plan! Thumbs-Up I look forward to following along and learning some new tricks.

Pete
Thanks for the tip! I hope I don't find out I overspent on shipping from Japan when I could've bought the kit from this group. Will check it out.
Why torment yourself. One of Murphy's Laws is foreordained to come into play here. Murphy just lies in wait for opportunities like these.Cautious
I think you deserve to be happy with what you got. Whatever turns up,...turns up.;)

Back