Best materials for large scale ship model?

I am planning the build of a 1:48 model of the SS South American. This model will be 6 feet long and 12 inches wide. I am wondering about the best material for frames. I am thinking 1/2" plywood or 1/2" or 3/4" pine. Which would be best to hold nails for the planking? Plywood to me seems to porous to hold nails. Or should I glue the planking instead of nailing?

Do realize I have great drawings for the ship but no information regarding construction of a model. Basically it will be scratch built. I do have Peter Davies-Garner's book RMS Titanic, A Modelmaker's Manual but haven't had to time to read it. In the meantime will make the time to read his book. Might actually answer my questions?

Thanks

With 6 feet length it will be a very long hull, so you will need for stability reasons also stiffeners between the bulkheads / frames
So maybe it will be the best to fill the space between the bulkheads with filling wood. With this you have the complete surface for fixing the planking

like @OlegM

IMG_20201010_085130.jpg IMG_20201010_152543.jpg IMG_20201010_173146.jpg

or @Herman

1647718648066.jpeg 1647724844888.jpeg 1647726075679.jpeg

or @Mirek

20211116_194028.jpg 20211121_194826.jpg 20211127_194739.jpg

all are getting with this technique a wonderfull result

Nice work and thanks for the reply. Not familiar with Filling Wood. Do you have a brand name?
Also forget to mention my model is a water line model as it is going on my 1:48 model railroad layout in a port.
Again, Thanks for the reply.
Jay Beckahm

Nice work and thanks for the reply. Not familiar with Filling Wood. Do you have a brand name?
Also forget to mention my model is a water line model as it is going on my 1:48 model railroad layout in a port.
Again, Thanks for the reply.
Jay Beckahm
you can use a kind of soft wood which is available - but take the time a read the building logs to get more info

BTW: when you plan to make a waterline model, without a keel and the bigger part of the hull - It will be definitely necessary to fill the gaps between the bulkheads!
Otherwise you will have torsion and bending in your structure

I am planning the build of a 1:48 model of the SS South American. This model will be 6 feet long and 12 inches wide. I am wondering about the best material for frames. I am thinking 1/2" plywood or 1/2" or 3/4" pine. Which would be best to hold nails for the planking? Plywood to me seems to porous to hold nails. Or should I glue the planking instead of nailing?

Do realize I have great drawings for the ship but no information regarding construction of a model. Basically it will be scratch built. I do have Peter Davies-Garner's book RMS Titanic, A Modelmaker's Manual but haven't had to time to read it. In the meantime will make the time to read his book. Might actually answer my questions?

Thanks
Hallo @jaybeckham
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back