Beginning Planking

I started at the bulwarks and am working my way toward the keel. I just installed the keel and will be puttng some planks there too.

View attachment 288026View attachment 288027View attachment 288028
That is also my sequence that I followed on two strip canoes, a Bluenose, and the Kyrenia model. I am shaping my present Phoenecian trade boat bulkheads/mold parts to follow the same sequence with the keel on top and garboards last placed. Some buildings fill in various bands, top and bottom, and close in the middle as I recall. Rich (PT-2)

For me, first and second layers were all started at the top. my kit really had no instructions, I asked alot of questions to a guy a worked with to get advise that dis a few ships, way before I was on the internet, now you have the guys on this forum to steer you through your ship.
the second Sapelly layer was started above the cannons. Since between the cannon holes were small PCs of Sapelly

image.jpg

image.jpg

Back in the day, all I had was a VHS tape of HOW TO BULID THE BLUENOSE. I watched it a few times. It was helpful, you even have YouTube now as well

Last edited:
I started at the bulwarks and am working my way toward the keel. I just installed the keel and will be puttng some planks there too.

View attachment 288026View attachment 288027View attachment 288028
This looks concerning, Philski. It appears like you're going to run out of room for tapering the planks in a real hurry as you close the gap. The planks should have been tapered starting with the second plank you laid near the gunwale. The garboard strake is almost 90 degrees to the planks already laid if you lay it now. :oops: Be prepared to lay a few stealers.

Look at the angles of the planks for the bow.
1643855672707.png

Last edited:
Back