Baltimore Clipper Patapsco

The model was based on a painting "The Schooner 'Patapsco Entering the Bay of Naples"
I used a variety of woods including: mahogany, beech, Gabon ebony, holly, boxwood and ( I swear, this is no bull$#!+ !) "Mammoth Kauri" for the deck, a lustrous hardwood unearthed in New Zealand, from trees knocked down by a tsunami some thirty to fifty thousand years ago and hermetically sealed in a peat bog and perfectly preserved for all those millennia! ( And , of coarse, basswood and birch). The model is about 18" overall.:cool:

Thanks Paul,
Polydock, Model Shipways has a variety of ship's boats "bread and butter" lift style kits that are reeeeealy cheap .These can be assembled from the laser cut basswood parts supplied, or the plans copied to any desired scale and easily made from scratch. I found a few modifications improved them. A word: be careful when thinning and shaping the hull, ( especially near the bow) as it is really easy to go too far and carve right through it. Holding it up to a bright light periodically as you go can give you an idea of how thin it's getting, especially near the bow. I've screwed up a few this way, but as I say, the materials are cheap!
hope that helps. ;)

Pete

Back