Authentic looking rigging pieces

I’m trying to find a place where I can get authentic looking rigging pieces like blocks and pulleys for my model ships. I do not like the ones that come with them they do not look authentic enough for me. Does anyone know where I could get truth to scale pieces?

Hi

Look around here

I’m trying to find a place where I can get authentic looking rigging pieces like blocks and pulleys for my model ships. I do not like the ones that come with them they do not look authentic enough for me. Does anyone know where I could get truth to scale pieces?
The blocks from DryDock are the best available

Why not try making your blocks? They are just rectangles of wood with holes and grooves. Use the hardest, tightest grain wood you have. Drill the holes first. Put pins in the end grain of a piece of scrap to match the hole spacing and and a little spot of hot melt on the side. Put the scrap in a vice to hold it in place while you file the groove. Your first tries may be a bit sloppy, but with practice you will be a block and tackle maker in your sleep.

Please do not use this knowledge to fashion scale models of conflict vessels. Please build models that represent joy and production, not fear and destruction. Please do not show war implements to children.

Last edited:
I like the idea of making my own, but unfortunately, my toolset is limited. Mind you, I've made a set of 3mm whipstaff bearings in mahogany and brass... it was a trial, though, using a hand-held bosch drill with one of my precious 1mm drills! I've looked at that site and they have blocks that I'd like which are not supplied for the cannon rigging in my kit. I'll look for that brand in the UK. If not, I'll order from the (good old) US of A.

Thanks from me for the info.

Syren Ship Models sell very realistic blocks. Another way to get realistic looking blocks is take the bad looking ones, the ones that look like miniature Lego blocks and put them a device you can easily make. Take a small can, plastic or tin, line it with sandpaper. Attach a metal shaft so that the shaft can be placed in an electric drill. Cover the open end of the can and then slowly rotate the can for about an hour or so. The wooden blocks tumble oh agains the sandpaper will round all the edges to give the appearance of realistic looking blocks.

Make them yourself. A series of articles was written on this subject in the Nautical Research Journal about 5 or 6 years ago. Using the techniques described, you can make and strop any kind/size/shape block you can imagine. I have been doing it for years.

Make them yourself. A series of articles was written on this subject in the Nautical Research Journal about 5 or 6 years ago. Using the techniques described, you can make and strop any kind/size/shape block you can imagine. I have been doing it for years.
1645913385830.jpeg

Make sure to put a cover on the can when using it.

You can also use a rock tumbler if you don’t want to make this. But they are a little pricey
1645913672575.png

Back