Armed Virginia Sloop - 1/48th Model Expo Kit

I have started on my model, I have cleaned all the char off the edges, done a lot of dry fitting and drawn the bearding line and started cutting the rabbet. I have glued nothing! Been doing a ton of reading and one thing the directions suggest is that you apply a single layer of planking the proper thickness, a combination of the first and second layers. I assume someone has cut their own planking, just wondering how you did it. I was thinking I could cut a slab the proper thickness and the maybe use an exacto knife and cut each individual plank, but never having done it I’m sure I’m not taking the best approach. Don’t have a band saw so that’s not an option but I do have a table saw. Just looking for some insight. Thanks!

I don't know if this is your first planked model, but you have raised the subject that is most challenging to beginners. Yes, each plank has to be shaped and tapered to accomodate the changes in the shape of the hull as you go from deck to keel and stem to stern. Many authors have presented methods for doing this and I suggest you do some research before starting to plank.

Yes this is my first wooden ship model, I am currently cutting the rabbet slowly and dry fitting the bulk heads so quite a ways to go before attempting any planking. I have acquired a few books on planking and they discuss the double planked vs single planked method. It appears that the single planked is the most accurate and the double allows for a “practice” run. At this juncture I have not decided which direction to take.

I strongly suggest double planking. My planking skills are pretty good after 40 years of making models but I still use this method. Not only does the first layer give you a feel for the best way to lay out the planking runs, it allows you to fair the hull (sand down high spots and fill in low spots) before adding the final layer. I don't believe you get any more accuracy with single planking and in fact it is more probable that you will wind up with gaps between the planks.

Thanks again Luis, I had gotten this book/pamphlet from Model Shipways on planking and the whole thing discusses a double plank approach and then the last two pages says but the single plank approach is more correct, so of course it made me me sway in my thinking but I think I’m convinced that double plank is the best approach for a lot of reasons.

I have started on my model, I have cleaned all the char off the edges, done a lot of dry fitting and drawn the bearding line and started cutting the rabbet. I have glued nothing! Been doing a ton of reading and one thing the directions suggest is that you apply a single layer of planking the proper thickness, a combination of the first and second layers. I assume someone has cut their own planking, just wondering how you did it. I was thinking I could cut a slab the proper thickness and the maybe use an exacto knife and cut each individual plank, but never having done it I’m sure I’m not taking the best approach. Don’t have a band saw so that’s not an option but I do have a table saw. Just looking for some insight. Thanks!
Hallo @Doug77
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Hi Doug, the phrase “the single plank approach is more correct” applies to the historical way most ships were planked and not to models. As Luiz said you can make all needed corrections to lumps and bumps creating a firm, smooth surface that makes the second layer easier to lay and looks better.
Happy Birthday!

Hallo @Doug77
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back