Armed Pinnace 1:16 by Panart built by me in 2003

Great job. I built that some time ago and the log is on this site somewhere. It turned out okay, but I did vow never to buy another Panart kit - what was your experience.

Great looking build, but to my tastes I don't like shiny brass, not realistic for actual ship in use.

But shiny brass looks good on display models for sure.

Hi Tagliapetto, sorry , this part has the wrong position, as far as I know it must be rotated 90° typical of the calcese shaft. Thanks , Frank

View attachment 381827
Hi Frank. Thanks for your observation. I built this 20 years ago and gave it to my father to display in his home. I don’t have access to it to correct and don’t have the plans anymore. So it will remain like this.

Great job. I built that some time ago and the log is on this site somewhere. It turned out okay, but I did vow never to buy another Panart kit - what was your experience.
Hi Graham. I share your thoughts on Panart. Not really happy with quality of kit materials. Since that build I have purchased Caldercraft Diana, my next build, and currently doing Victory models, which is Amati, Vanguard.

Great looking build, but to my tastes I don't like shiny brass, not realistic for actual ship in use.

Hi Kurt. Thanks for looking at my Pinnace. I agree brass is too shiny. If I were to build this again I would paint the armaments. When I built the kit and even today, painting is not a skill I am good or confident in, especially the metal parts.

Hi Frank. Thanks for your observation. I built this 20 years ago and gave it to my father to display in his home. I don’t have access to it to correct and don’t have the plans anymore. So it will remain like this.
Hi Chestcutter, sorry about my observation , it was just to point it out for the purpose of functionality.Frank

Hi Kurt. Thanks for looking at my Pinnace. I agree brass is too shiny. If I were to build this again I would paint the armaments. When I built the kit and even today, painting is not a skill I am good or confident in, especially the metal parts.
I am learning from the great SoS members here how to blacken brass with simple to buy chemicals and the process leaves them a lot less shiny. Might do a search on brass blackening to see what comments come up.

You might look at modelboatyard.com.
The site has a section called tips, I believe. I tried his brass blackening techniques and products and they work well and aren’t complicated either. You can test them on scrap brass and see what one you like the best. Have good success with your Vasa!

Your build looks good! Very clean and carefully built.

I have made two Panart Armed-Launches and to this day it is one of my favourite kits. I really like the detail you can put into a 1:16 scale model, and the subject is just so full of interesting features. I used a gun-bluing chemical called "BrassBlack" to blacken the brass on these models.

The last one I made was in 2000, so a LONG time ago, but I don't recall anything particularly bad about the materials or build procedure.

side.jpg

finishedbowdeck.jpg

Same goes for etched brass parts…need a way to “weather” etched brass but not blacken necessarily…more like making it look like gold accent…but not paint…hmmm…I guess it is the same dilemma for shiny brass…perhaps the gun bluing chemicals are as close as we get…not blackening as such but a nice silver grey tone…

The amount of darkening you get depends on how long you let brass set in the chemical, and also I found out how well you wipe/rub it down afterwards.

You can get a nice light grey shade if short dip and good wiping down and rub to polish, makes nice looking fittings.

Back