Anyone have experience with Amati Bismarck kit?

I built the Hachette partworks Bismarck about 20 years ago. It was about 120 editions from memory and worked out to be very expensive.
The Hachette version was produced by Amati but I believe the current rendition of this model thats now for sale is vastly superior. There are hundreds of photo etch parts, so be warned its a fiddly build.

I built the Hachette partworks Bismarck about 20 years ago. It was about 120 editions from memory and worked out to be very expensive.
The Hachette version was produced by Amati but I believe the current rendition of this model thats now for sale is vastly superior. There are hundreds of photo etch parts, so be warned its a fiddly build.
I was wondering about that. I built the Amati Titanic a few years ago and there were a lot of tiny bits and photoetched parts. So it appears that the Bismarck will be the same. Hard pass for me, then. I didn't enjoy building the Titanic
Thanks

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with Amati Bismarck kit? I am thinking of buying it.
Bought but not started. A couple of bits missing and 2 broken. Excellent service in replacement by company and seller (Cornwell models). Can't compare plastic to wood hulls, but the building experience in wood is surely more satisfying. The topside extras are perhaps less comprehensive, but good enough for me. I waited several years since seeing the first announcement and am very happy with the purchase.

hello. well i decided to pull the trigger on purchasing the kit and I have received it. So far so good. Nothing broken from what I can tell. I am now looking for paint for the model as it is required. From what I can tell, I am going to need to spend at least 150$ CDN more for the paint that I need. I don't have an air brush and I don't plan on buying one either. So for the hull, I am going to try and find some acrylic spray paint, if such a thing exists. I also purchase this acrylic glue called ultra glue for the photo etched parts. It apparently dries clear and is perfect for those metal parts.
I went through the two books of instructions and I would consider this a kit for the more experienced builder. I suspect I will have to pull many rabbits out of my hat for this one.

Best regards,
Me

hello. well i decided to pull the trigger on purchasing the kit and I have received it. So far so good. Nothing broken from what I can tell. I am now looking for paint for the model as it is required. From what I can tell, I am going to need to spend at least 150$ CDN more for the paint that I need. I don't have an air brush and I don't plan on buying one either. So for the hull, I am going to try and find some acrylic spray paint, if such a thing exists. I also purchase this acrylic glue called ultra glue for the photo etched parts. It apparently dries clear and is perfect for those metal parts.
I went through the two books of instructions and I would consider this a kit for the more experienced builder. I suspect I will have to pull many rabbits out of my hat for this one.

Best regards,
Me
I am looking forward to your build log...;)

I don't really have access to good photographic equipment. However I'll try to put together some photos as I move along on the build.
Jack, all I have used is my phone or tablet ( both Apple products) for photographing in my build logs, good enough to show your progress, as far as spray paint I have used Tamiya spray cans - they have all the major colors you need and it’s a synthetic lacquer that dries fast and isn’t affected by other paints so you can detail and touch up with acrylic paint from them too…..
I would really like to see a build log on Bismarck- I really like the idea of using wood for the majority of that build, hope you do a log!

Jack, all I have used is my phone or tablet ( both Apple products) for photographing in my build logs, good enough to show your progress, as far as spray paint I have used Tamiya spray cans - they have all the major colors you need and it’s a synthetic lacquer that dries fast and isn’t affected by other paints so you can detail and touch up with acrylic paint from them too…..
I would really like to see a build log on Bismarck- I really like the idea of using wood for the majority of that build, hope you do a log!
I'll do my best, although I can't promise a detailed build. That is a a hobby in itself.

Back