Antique?

I ran across this today and am wondering:
1. Is it really an antique
2. Can it be fixed/salvaged?
3. What type of ship is it?

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated. I am so intrigued by this piece. My step dad had a few of these when I was growing up and this reminded me so much of him.

IMG_6406.jpeg

IMG_6405.jpeg

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated. I am so intrigued by this piece. My step dad had a few of these when I was growing up and this reminded me so much of him.

View attachment 380098

View attachment 380099
It's a Mediterranean Xebec, ( Chebek. ) if it is a souvenir model it is one of the better ones, or maybe someone has already had a go at fixing her up, the usual souvenir model's have stiff sails like on the model behind her, this on has lighter ( thinner) sails, she has a beautiful hull shape, how much are they asking for her, I normally wouldn't bother with a souvenir model but this one has something about her, from looking at the hull and what I can see of the deck's I think she would do up great, if it was me and they weren't asking too much I'd buy it, do you have any more photos of her, best of luck with your decision,

. Best regards John,

It's a Mediterranean Xebec, ( Chebek. ) if it is a souvenir model it is one of the better ones, or maybe someone has already had a go at fixing her up, the usual souvenir model's have stiff sails like on the model behind her, this on has lighter ( thinner) sails, she has a beautiful hull shape, how much are they asking for her, I normally wouldn't bother with a souvenir model but this one has something about her, from looking at the hull and what I can see of the deck's I think she would do up great, if it was me and they weren't asking too much I'd buy it, do you have any more photos of her, best of luck with your decision,

. Best regards John,
Thanks Neptune! They were asking $300 for it in the condition that it’s in. What do you consider “too much”? . Some of the details up close look nicer than a souvenir ship.

Thanks Neptune! They were asking $300 for it in the condition that it’s in. What do you consider “too much”? . Some of the details up close look nicer than a souvenir ship.
For $300 you can buy a really nice model and built a model that’s 10 times better looking and more detailed and accurate than any souvenir model. Souvenir models are for those who can’t or have no desire to build their own, and they are often hugely overpriced.

G'day Karen, before making assumptions and jumping the gun, as I said before more pics would be of help especially regarding the deck detail and fittings, and as Kurt has said $300 is a lot for it, but it does look to be a large size judging by the chair it is sitting on and also it has a scarph joint at the bow between stem and keel it also looks like it has planks that have been nailed to the hull framework and also a better looking rudder and the way it is attached to the hull than souvenier bots do, i would have to have a real close look at her to see what she actually is, but given what you show I wouldn't go above $100, and on second thoughts she looks more like an Arab Dhow, see pic below,

best regards john.

Sambuk.jpg

What you pay depends on how much you love it. Especially if it brings up a nostalgic memory of your step dad. I am in agreement with John. With a little research and some loving care, I believe she can make up into a very nice model!

Good luck! Pete G.

If it is a mass market piece of furniture it would be the best I have seen. While in bad shape right now, It looks like it had rigging detail far beyond what I have seen. If it is mass market it is still an excellent model and worth repairing.

$300! Then the seller has no idea or is 'chancing his arm'. If you really like it 30 dollars. I confirm this is a dhow, not at all like a xebec, therefore probably built in the Gulf region.

Hola karendiane3 desde Bilbao al Mundo;
Sin ninguna duda es un Dhow Arabe. Me atreveria a decir que es el barco mas antiguo que aun se construye y se trabaja para mercancias y pasaje, en el ambito Arabe.
La pieza pienso que a pesar de se un recuerdo turistico está hecha a mano, algunas simplicidades en cuanto a poleas de las velas y exceso decoracion pero dado el tamaño si pienso que mas cerca de 100 dolares a pesar de los desperfectos y roña a correguir.

I would offer them a Hundred bucks and put the cash right down in front of him. If they take the offer you have a nice boat model for a decent price. If not you have lost nothing but they have lost a sale. It's a nice model and worth a try but don't go too cheap on them. I was in that business and one thing I learned to hate was a cheap skate.

It's a Mediterranean Xebec, ( Chebek. ) if it is a souvenir model it is one of the better ones, or maybe someone has already had a go at fixing her up, the usual souvenir model's have stiff sails like on the model behind her, this on has lighter ( thinner) sails, she has a beautiful hull shape, how much are they asking for her, I normally wouldn't
with a souvenir model but this one has something about her, from looking at the hull and what I can see of the deck's I think she would do up great, if it was me and they weren't asking too much I'd buy it, do you have any more photos of her, best of luck with your decision,

. Best regards John,
Yo estoy de acuerdo con Neptuno. El casco está muy bien acabado. Yo lo estudiarìa bien. Por las respuestas que he podido leer hay mucho desprecio, pero si lo montas correctamente te puede quedar un barco muy bonito
Tiene pinta de barco turco

I agree with Neptune. The helmet is very well finished. I would study it well. From the answers that I have been able to read there is a lot of contempt, but if you assemble it correctly you can have a very nice boat
It looks like a Turkish ship,

Translated from the above post, by Helmet I think it's meant to be Hull,

Best regards John,

View attachment 380098

View attachment 380099
It is certainly a mediterranean Chebec, and certainly deserves to be restored, it is very well built and seems to be in the correct proportion and scale too.
Whether it's old or not, in my opinion it doesn't matter, the model is very beautiful indeed !

Hola karendiane3 desde Bilbao al Mundo;
Sin ninguna duda es un Dhow Arabe. Me atreveria a decir que es el barco mas antiguo que aun se construye y se trabaja para mercancias y pasaje, en el ambito Arabe.
La pieza pienso que a pesar de se un recuerdo turistico está hecha a mano, algunas simplicidades en cuanto a poleas de las velas y exceso decoracion pero dado el tamaño si pienso que mas cerca de 100 dolares a pesar de los desperfectos y roña a correguir.
Hello karendiane3 from Bilbao to the World;
Without any doubt it is an Arabian Dhow. I would dare to say that it is the oldest ship that is still being built and worked for merchandise and passengers, in the Arab world.
I think that the piece is made by hand despite being a tourist souvenir, some simplicities in terms of sail pulleys and excess decoration but given the size I think it is closer to 100 dollars despite the damage and scuffs to be corrected.

Translated from the above post ,

best regards John ,

Back