Anchor size

I'm messing with ways of making anchors for the Discovery1789. I made this one from wood following the dimensions from Mondfeld's book. It looks huge to me. Does this look about right to you or is this maybe one of Mondfeld's mistakes?

DSC04732.JPG

DSC04733.JPG

Looks quite proportional. I was also very much surprised when I found how large the anchors on my Victory model were supposed to be. The anchors that came with the kit were two-thirds (2/3) of the correct size.

1. They look proportionate to me; better too large than too small. Also remember that they would be broken down (and maybe stowed below) on a long voyage.
2. Anchors would not be carried in the shrouds for any longer than absolutely necessary.; they would break up the ship in heavy weather.
3. Very few (probably none) ships were lost because they had large anchors used properly. Many ships (lots of them) were lost because they only carried small (and/or too few) anchors; usually because cheap owners would not spend the money for required complament of anchors.

Last edited:
Yes the bower anchors were very large but ships did have a range of anchor on board dependant upon the anchorage and weather. Bower, Stream, and Kedge are examples that one ship may have on board.

Back