An idle question of room

Just curious. I've been looking at many deck plans as I can and I've noticed that most of the cabins are designated to someone or other. I'm reading Capt. George Vancouver's journal and a couple of things pop up. First is Archibald Menzies, botanist for the journey and a gentleman I presume. He was also a surgeon but didn't take on that job until well into the trip when the regular surgeon took sick and was sent home. Somebody must have been displaced for him, at least until the surgeons quarters were free. Later on in the journey when they were returning to Hawaii for the winter they were asked to return two Hawaiian girls that had been taken from their home by fur traders I think. I can't imagine the difficulties in making room for two young girls on a small ship with almost 100 love starved sailors wandering about. Was there any protocols in the Navy for dealing with this kind of thing or was it just put on the captain to make it work?

Just curious. I've been looking at many deck plans as I can and I've noticed that most of the cabins are designated to someone or other. I'm reading Capt. George Vancouver's journal and a couple of things pop up. First is Archibald Menzies, botanist for the journey and a gentleman I presume. He was also a surgeon but didn't take on that job until well into the trip when the regular surgeon took sick and was sent home. Somebody must have been displaced for him, at least until the surgeons quarters were free. Later on in the journey when they were returning to Hawaii for the winter they were asked to return two Hawaiian girls that had been taken from their home by fur traders I think. I can't imagine the difficulties in making room for two young girls on a small ship with almost 100 love starved sailors wandering about. Was there any protocols in the Navy for dealing with this kind of thing or was it just put on the captain to make it work?
I believe the Quartermaster under the Captain has the duty of arranging berth for visitors, and it is usually a burden since warships are no usually equipped with extra space. One of the lower officers would be displaced. Perhaps and ensign would be consigned to live among the midshipmen for a time. As for the sailors, in those days they did as they were told. A ship is not run as a democracy. It is a cast system by rank.

Back