Amerigo Vespucci - construction details in photos and information

Good morning, just for information about the real Vespucci,
the hull is suppraposed plates and not smooth ,
the portholes of the Panart kit are brass color, but they are color respecting the position of black and white.
Observation from the real.
Frank

16266281_737562036408485_880164059684791203_n.jpg

264414336_1956066407905944_481474909591519721_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning , since you apostrophe me and call me rude I have only to apologize if there was any I greet you all.Frank

Interesting modeling problem. I’m building the Esmeralda which has a steel hull but the kit build is with wooden planks over bulkheads. How to make a realistic looking hull? Thin plastic plates overlay with simulated rivets? Or just smooth as possible? What sort of pattern would a steel plated hull follow? All of my ships to date have been wooden hulled period ships. Any suggestions please. Thanks. Lou

I think it is very much depending on the scale you are working ...... If the scale is too small, all joints and boltheads could be easily out of scale

Here is an example made by @Moxis on his model of the Lempi

I think it is very much depending on the scale you are working ...... If the scale is too small, all joints and boltheads could be easily out of scale
Scale is 1:100. Dimples to simulate rivets? But how to do the steel plates? What pattern? What scale size?

And here is something by Nigel at an even smaller scale:

Scale is 1:100. Dimples to simulate rivets? But how to do the steel plates? What pattern? What scale size?
1:100 is small so I guess the rivets will be problematic or minimum a work for several years if you have to make them each by each

I do not know how many photos of the hull (like this one) are existing or available to have soem overall knowledge of the pattern

launch-of-americgo-vespucci.jpg

Back